Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Adam Twidell
Occupation: Co-Founder & CEO of PrivateFly
Residence: St Albans
College: Edinburgh University
College major: Electrical Engineering
Short bio: After serving 10 years as a Royal Air Force pilot, Adam entered the world of private aviation with NetJets. Having seen the industry from all angles, Adam spotted a need in the market for a more efficient online private jet booking network, linking customers directly with aircraft operators—and thus, PrivateFly was born.
How often do you fly? At least a few times a month, if not every week.
How many countries have you been to? 92 and counting…
How many continents have you been to? All of them.
Earliest travel memory: When I was four-years-old, on a flight to Fiji, I was allowed to sit in the pilot’s seat on a Boeing 747. I still have the details in my BA Kids Logbook.
Favorite American city: Fort Lauderdale.
Favorite international city: Sydney.
I have no desire to go to: Nowhere—there’s always something interesting no matter where you go!
Friendliest people in the world: Jordan—everyone is always friendly when I travel there. Also Italians, they make it so easy when I’m traveling with my family.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Petra because I lived in Jordan for a year, so it always has a special place in my heart.
Favorite airline: Qatar for long haul flights or Loch Lomond sea planes for family trips in Scotland.
Favorite aircraft type: Citation XL—a great, all-around aircraft that I had the pleasure of flying as a private jet pilot.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite U.S. airport: Fort Lauderdale Executive—it’s where our US office is based.
Favorite hotel: I prefer staying in Airbnbs—I like smaller, quirky places to stay & meeting new people!
Favorite island: Tough choice—I loved Saba because of its unique landing, but I also love traveling to Barra in the Scottish Islands.
Favorite beach: Maho Beach—where else can you sunbathe & get that close to a jumbo jet?
Favorite National Park: Loch Lomand & The Trossachs in Scotland.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Hatch—a local coffee shop in my current town St Albans.
Favorite bar: Kaffi Reykjavik Ice Bar, Iceland.
Favorite fruit: Banana.
Favorite food: Eggs.
Least favorite food: Mince pies or fruit cake.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Malt whiskey—Jura Whiskey.
Favorite travel movie(s): Plane, Trains & Automobiles.
Favorite travel show(s): Ross Kemp: Extreme World.
Favorite travel book(s): “The Big Book of Flight” (an AvGeek favorite!).
Right now I am reading: “Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: PrivateFly Weekly Newsletter, Aviation Week & Corporate Jet Investor.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! PrivateFly & Flightradar24.
5 things you bring on a plane: Phone, iPad, PrivateFly Squid charger, Bose headphones & my GoPro to capture any great aerial shots.
What do you always seem to forget? To go to bed early.
What do you like least about travel? Waiting in line, especially at the airport.
Favorite travel app(s): PrivateFly app.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Checking in at Heathrow for a flight to India and realizing I didn’t have a visa. I missed the flight and had to reorganize the trip for a week later.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: South Africa.
Worst travel moment: Delhi railway station when backpacking with my wife (girlfriend at the time). It was hot, humid, crowded and we were unprepared for the intensity of conmen trying to trick us.
What’s your dream destination? Isle of Colonsay, west coast island in Scotland: it has the two most important things for a holiday—the best beach in the world close to a runway.
Best travel tip: Travel light, never take more than you can carry.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.