Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Dr. Alan K. Hogenauer
Occupation: Professor, travel/tourism marketing
Hometown: New York (NAM), Melbourne (AUS), Port Washington NY, Bogota (SAM), Nairobi (AFR), Bangkok (ASIA), Oakdale NY, Moscow (EUR)
Residence: Cerritos, CA
Short Bio: Via a diversified career in aviation, airport planning, market research, and academia, I have worked for pay in 59 countries/territories on all six populated continents. Concurrently have visited 311 countries/territories.
How often do you fly: MUCH less often these days!
How many countries have you been to: All but 15 worldwide.
How many continents have you been to: All seven, via surface linkages to all.
Favorite American city: New York, of course.
Favorite international city: Too many to list.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Too many to list.
Favorite airline: TWA
Favorite aircraft type: The one(s) that land safely.
Aisle or window: Window, NOT over the wing!
Favorite hotel: Too many to list.
Favorite cruise line: Any FREIGHTER.
Favorite island: Long Island, NY, of course.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Never eat in them.
Favorite hole in the wall: One with something great to see on the other side.
Favorite fruit: Too many to list.
Favorite food: Too many to list.
Least favorite food: Anything spicy!
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Beer
Favorite travel movie(s): Out of Africa, Silver Streak
Favorite travel show(s): Discovery/Travel Channels
Favorite travel book(s): Too many to list
Right now I am reading: This list!
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines: Vacations To Go, Travel & Leisure
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Google maps, Google Earth, Mapquest, Mosttraveledpeople.com
Five things you bring on a plane: Five is five too many!
What do you always seem to forget: Nothing!
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? NOTHING AT ALL. They are overpriced non-essentials.
What’s your dream destination: Any place I have yet to visit.
Best travel tip: Keep detailed records and repeat a place or a route only when absolutely necessary.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.