Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Amanda Woods
Occupation: Freelance travel writer and Adventures All Around travel blogger
Hometown: Glen Innes, NSW, Australia
College: Charles Sturt University, Bathurst
College major: Journalism
Facebook: Adventures All Around
Pinterest: Adventure All Around
Short bio: As a journalist and producer Amanda has worked for the BBC, ABC, 2UE, 2GB, and more. As a writer she is a regular contributor to Escape, the travel segment in News Corp’s Sunday Australian newspapers, and Escape.com.au, and has also been published in a range of magazines and newspapers including Vogue, Mindfood, Vacations & Travel, Australian Traveller, the Sydney Morning Herald, and the Weekend Australian.
In a classic “do what you love” move, today she can be found travelling the world and sharing the tales on her travel blog Adventures All Around and through her articles in a number of publications.
How often do you fly? It fluctuates. In quiet times it’s around two or three times a month, in busier times it can be that in a week. Or a day.
How many countries have you been to? I stopped counting years ago and have absolutely no idea. Um, a lot?
How many continents have you been to? That’s easier. Six out of seven. Africa is my missing link, but hopefully not for too much longer.
Earliest travel memory: Going to the big smoke of Sydney when I was about three and riding on a ferry to the zoo.
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: Berlin.
Friendliest people in the world: Ooh, that’s a hard call between Irish, Scottish and Canadians.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Uluru—Kata Tjuta National Park.
Favorite aircraft type: 787 Dreamliners and A380s.
Aisle or window: Aisle if I’m in economy, window if I’m lucky enough to be business or first and can enjoy the view with the freedom of easy aisle access.
Favorite U.S. airport: I’m yet to find that one.
Favorite international airport: Changi. Hands down.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Aulis, the chef’s table at L’enclume in England’s Lake District.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Sushi Suma in Surry Hills, Sydney.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Champagne and red wine for both.
Favorite travel movie: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
Right now I am reading: “Material Girl, Mystical World: the Now Age Guide to a High Vibe Life” by Ruby Warrington.
5 things you bring on a plane: iPad loaded with movies and books, good headphones, lip balm, eye drops, antiseptic wipes.
What do you always seem to forget? So far I haven’t forgotten to take anything onto a flight, though I have been known to forget to stop watching movies and get some sleep.
What do you like least about travel? Unpacking.
Favorite travel app(s): Tripcase, Skyscanner, Oanda currency converter, and TunnelBear VPN when I’m on public Wi-Fi. Toilet Finder has also come in handy from time to time.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Africa.
What’s your dream destination? Antarctica was a dream come true. Botswana is a dream I’m still dreaming about.
Best travel tip: Always keep a steady reserve of patience and a good sense of humour.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.