Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Ralph W Schofield, aka Ambit Welder
Occupation: Life time in energy business
Hometown: Houston, Texas
Residence: Houston, Texas
Facebook: Ambit Welder
Short bio: Traveled to over 50 countries and loved interfacing with new cultures, experiencing the cuisine and exploring history; I have been fortunate to make many new friends in my travels and used my travel experiences to write…The Adventures of Deacon Coombs!!!
How often do you fly? Frequently in the past.
How many countries have you been to? 50+
How many continents have you been to? FIVE (5).
Earliest travel memory: To Toronto, the big city, at age ten.
Favorite American city: Chicago and NYC.
Favorite international city: Amsterdam and Nairobi.
Least favorite country: Nizhnevartovsk (in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug, Russia).
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Oh yes, there are a few.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Rabat, Morocco.
Favorite airline: KLM.
Favorite aircraft type: Wide-bodied.
Aisle or window: Window to see the world.
Favorite airport lounge: Stranded in Zurich in a snow storm.
Favorite U.S. airport: Denver, great people mover; great facilities.
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam, a melting pot of cultures.
Favorite hotel: Please don’t make me choose between the Negresco, Nice, France and Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and The Broadmoor, Colorado.
Favorite cruise line: Sorry, I travel by land and air.
Favorite travel credit card: Mastercard.
Favorite island: Malta… love it.
Favorite beach: Somewhere in Greece.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Chantecler, Nice and Kaatje Bijde Sluis in Netherlands.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: The Buckhorn in Laramie, Wyoming.
Favorite bar: The Breakers, West Palm Beach.
Favorite fruit: Fruit salad of ripe mangoes and papayas in Guatemala City.
Favorite food: Italian, served in Tuscany.
Least favorite food: Python in Gabon.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Chateauneuf-de-Pape wine.
Favorite travel movie(s): Out of Africa.
Favorite travel show(s): Rick Steves’ Europe.
Favorite travel book(s): “Foundation Trilogy” by Asimov and “Deacon Coombs.”
Right now I am reading: “The Adventures of Deacon Coombs”…5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler and National Geographic Traveler.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! REI Adventures, RhoneWineTours.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: Book, deck of cards, Sudoku, oatmeal bars, pen.
What do you always seem to forget? My antacid.
What do you like least about travel? Bad turbulence.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Calvados (Boulard XO) and Armagnac (Castarede).
Favorite travel app(s): Too bad there’s not an app for conversation.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Falling off a camel on a desert ride in Tunisia.
Worst travel moment: Stranded in Moscow airport in snowstorm.
What’s your dream destination? Froora, Aralia.
Favorite travel charity: Ditchley Foundation, UK.
Best travel tip: There’s no such thing as international; there’s just everyone else’s domestic, so adapt quickly!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.