Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Andrew John Virtue Dobson
Occupation: Full Time Blogger
Short Bio: I am fascinated by how food and drink enriches the sensory travel experience. I have travelled to almost 60 countries and regularly create Culinary Tourism Destination Guides on my website dobbernationLOVES. I was recently a judge for the Ontario Culinary Tourism Awards and stand out as a global expert on everything food, drink and travel with a penchant for adventure. When I’m not eating myself silly on a press trip, you can find me in my hometown of Toronto, reviewing the city’s top theatre, restaurant, bar and art experiences.
How often do you fly: This upcoming year I’m planning on organizing 12-24 press trips (1-2 a month) and will likely be flying, driving, sailing and running around the globe non stop.
How many countries have you been to: 58
How many continents have you been to: 6
Favorite American city: New York
Favorite international city: Stockholm
Least favorite country: Hanoi
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu
Favorite airline: Singapore Airlines
Favorite aircraft type: Anything that gets my luggage from Point A to Point B.
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite airport lounge: Toronto Island Airport
Favorite U.S. airport: Miami
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam
Favorite hotel: Four Seasons
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Unpack and relax!
Favorite cruise line: None I’m not a fan of unsustainable hotels floating on the water.
Favorite island: Sipadan in Borneo Malaysia
Favorite fancy restaurant: Kolabrautin, Reykjavik
Favorite hole in the wall: Hawker Stalls in Sinagpore
Favorite fruit: Raspberries
Favorite food: Whatever I’m craving in the moment. I have a penchant for cheese.
Least favorite food: Oysters
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) The Manhattan
Favorite travel movie(s): Jurassic Park
Favorite travel show(s): An Idiot Abroad
Favorite travel book(s): Cookbooks which showcase regional cuisine
Right now I am reading: Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle by Chris Hedges
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Travel + Escape
Five things you bring on a plane: iPhone, Macbook Pro, earplugs, sleeping pills, patience
What do you always seem to forget: One of the above mentioned essentials
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? A local taste of place.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Google Maps
Most embarrassing travel moment: Taking the train from Venice to Florence and accidentally getting on the wrong train and ending up bound for Rome.
Worst travel moment: Getting robbed in Vietnam.
What’s your dream destination: French Polynesia
Favorite travel charity: Planeterra.org
Best travel tip: Plan your itinerary in advance! As a culinary tourism expert I’m all to aware of the fact that top restaurants in destination require reservations weeks in advance!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.