Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Andrew Macdonald
Occupation: Well…it really depends where I am. When back home in Scotland I work as a decorator. While in Africa I work as a safari guide but wherever I am in the world I am always a photographer!
Hometown: Tiny village of Ancrum in the Scottish Borders.
Twitter: I’m working on it ;)
Facebook: Andrew Macdonald Photography
YouTube: Andrew Macdonald
Short bio: Always on the lookout for another adventure. I’m a traveler, safari guide, (and painter and decorator), photographer and videographer from Scotland. I am completely self taught and started to take photography more seriously in 2013 during a year long trip around the world.
In 2015 I spent six months in South Africa where I gained my guiding qualifications and worked for a lodge. I then moved on and spent three months working deep in Botswana’s Okavango Delta before a fire forced me to return home having lost almost all my possessions.
In 2016 I returned to work in South Africa and then spent 3 weeks in Zambia working for Norman Carr Safaris on commercial photography. The African bug has bitten me very hard and it runs through my veins!
How often do you fly? As often as I can but not as much as I would like to.
How many countries have you been to? 30
How many continents have you been to? 6, only Antarctica to go.
Earliest travel memory: My earliest memories come from family vacations to the islands of Greece. I remember my grandad bending over to look into the harbour and his comb falling out from his shirt pocket and sinking to the bottom, I found this very amusing.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: Well it’s national for me, Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital.
Least favorite country: I have loved each country that I have visited. They all have their pros and cons.
I have no desire to go to: I would visit everywhere at least once…
Friendliest people in the world: It’s hard to beat the Kiwis on New Zealand.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: USA, although they have improved in recent years.
Favorite World Heritage site: The Okavango Delta, such a special place for me.
Favorite airline: Qatar.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite international airport: Mfuwe, Zambia.
Favorite hotel: I’m more of a hostel man.
Favorite island: New Zealand’s South Island.
Favorite National Park: South Luangwa National Park in Zambia.
Favorite food: Massaman Curry, Thailand.
Least favorite food: Oysters and olives.
Favorite fruit: Avocado.
Favorite travel movie: Into the Wild.
Favorite travel books: Mark Beaumont’s “The Man Who Cycled the World.”
Favorite travel show: An Idiot Abroad.
Favorite travel website: Lonely Planet.
5 things I bring on a plane: Laptop, iPod, camera, book..that’s about it. The inflight entertainment is so good these days.
What do you like least about travel? Delays.
Worst travel moment: Wrongly being turned away at check in while trying to fly from Lima to Los Angeles. It ended up costing me £800.
Whats your dream destination? Nepal, I have to see Everest one day.
Best travel tip: GO! Get out of your comfort zone and explore.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.