Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Bart McDonough
Occupation: CEO of Agio
Hometown: Grew up in Edmond, OK
Residence: Split time between Redding, CT, and New York, NY
College: Attended University of Oklahoma for the majority of my college hours but graduated from UCONN
College major: Political Science
Facebook: Bart McDonough
Short bio: Bart McDonough is the author of “Cyber Smart: Five Habits to Protect Your Family, Money, and Identity from Cyber Criminals and CEO” and the founder of Agio, a hybrid managed IT and cybersecurity services provider. Prior to founding Agio, Bart worked at SAC Capital Advisors, BlueStone Capital Partners, OptiMark Technologies, Sanford Bernstein, and American Express. Bart attended the University of Oklahoma and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Connecticut. He is married to the two-time Emmy-winning television producer, Cheryl McDonough, and has three incredible children, Russell, Ava and Kya.
How often do you fly? Currently, a couple of times a month—sometimes much more but rarely less than two trips a month.
How many countries have you been to? 29
How many continents have you been to? Five
Earliest travel memory: Flying with my parents from Oklahoma City to visit my grandparents in Arkansas—took a Southwest Airlines flight.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: Paris.
Least favorite country: Hard to answer but probably Dominican Republic from a couple of bad experiences.
I have no desire to go to: Siberia—too cold for me!
Friendliest people in the world: Irish! I always make friends when I’m in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
Favorite airline: American Airlines.
Favorite aircraft type: A new one!
Aisle or window: Aisle or another flight!
Favorite airport lounge: Admirals First Class Lounge at JFK.
Favorite U.S. airport: JFK.
Favorite international airport: Netherlands.
Favorite hotel: Four Seasons.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Black.
Favorite island: St. Barth—c’mon it is my name and where I got married.
Favorite beach: Nikki Beach on St. Barth.
Favorite National Park: Yellowstone.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Nobu—Malibu.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Smith and Mills—Tribeca, NY.
Favorite airport restaurant: Bobby Van’s at JFK—met Chevy Chase there one time.
Favorite bar: The bars where they serve añejo tequila.
Favorite fruit: Blueberries.
Favorite food: Sushi.
Least favorite food: Pasta.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Añejo tequila + soda.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain—Parts Unknown.
Favorite travel book(s): “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer & “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson.
Right now I am reading: “Principles” by Ray Dalio.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Departures, FourHundred.com
5 things you bring on a plane: Laptop, phone, iPad, chargers, AirPods
What do you always seem to forget? Socks!
What do you like least about travel? When you have a carry-on bag and the anxiety to get to your seat quickly so you can put your luggage in the overhead.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Sunflower seeds or beef Jerky.
Favorite travel app(s): American Airlines, Google Translate, Uber
Most embarrassing travel moment: Running—full sprint—to the line to board a flight. Turns out it wasn’t my flight.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: China or Japan!
Worst travel moment: Missing a 3pm flight from Dallas to Oklahoma City and due to weather and airplane issues, had to spend the night in the airport!
What’s your dream destination? South Africa for a safari.
Favorite travel charity: St. Jude’s—they help parents of kids with cancer be with their kids while they are being treated.
Best travel tip: Check your bags—the additional 15-30 minutes waiting on your luggage is usually worth it!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.