Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Benét J. Wilson
Occupation: Director of Media Relations, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association; aviation journalist/blogger
Hometown: San Francisco
Residence: Towson, MD
Bio: Benét J. Wilson is the director of media relations for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. She was previously online managing editor and social media guru for the Aviation Week group. She is also an aviation/travel freelance journalist, writing for publications including Aviation International News and the Airline Passenger Experience magazine. She also blogs at AviationQueen.com on aviation and travel topics. She is an Air Force brat and has worked for two airlines and an aircraft engine manufacturer, Wilson is working on her private pilots license and resides in Towson, Md.
How often do you fly? Since I began my pilot lessons, twice a week without fail.
How many countries have you been to? 30 ( I counted!)
How many continents have you been to? 4
Favorite American city? Tie-New York City and San Francisco (I just can’t choose one!)
Favorite international city? Paris
Least favorite country? I really can’t think of one!
Favorite airline? Domestic, Southwest. International, Singapore Airlines
Favorite aircraft type? The Boeing 747-400, of course!
Aisle or window? Aisle
Favorite airport lounge? British Airways First Class lounge at London Heathrow Airport’s T5
Favorite U.S. airport? Another tie-San Francisco’s International Terminal and the JetBlue T5 terminal at JFK Airport.
Favorite international airport? Changi Airport
Favorite hotel? The Peaks, Telluride, Colo. (Marriott is my favorite chain)
Favorite cruise line? Big shock-I’ve never been on a cruise!
Favorite island? Martinique
Favorite fancy restaurant? French Laundry, Napa Valley
Favorite hole in the wall? The now-closed, but beloved Flint’s BBQ in Oakland, Calif.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Accidental Tourist, Die Hard 2 (my Twitter followers understand why), Romancing the Stone.
Favorite travel show(s): Easy! Hot Spots 2012 with Johnny Jet on the Travel Channel (bring it back, Travel Channel!) House Hunters International.
Favorite travel book(s): Anne Tyler, who makes Baltimore such a magical place; A Year in Provence; Griffin and Sabine (the trilogy); Lonely Planet
Five things you bring on a plane? Noise-canceling headphones; baby wipes; hand sanitizer; lip balm; and iPod/iPad
What do you always seem to forget? Sunglasses, enough underwear
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): GateGuru, Next Flight, My TSA, Zagat, Taxi Magic and Translate
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: I got sick as a dog on trip to Indonesia. I looked so bad at the airport they almost didn’t let me travel. My travel companion convinced them I was just badly hung over. At a stopover in Hawaii, we were greeted by nurses from CDC handing out pamphlets informing us we had just left a Cholera-infected area and to check with our doctors at home if we had any of the listed symptoms. Guess who had ALL the symptoms? I made it back to Washington, DC and went immediately to the hospital. I had 30 doctors and interns in my room as they literally did a clinic on treating Cholera, using me as the case study. Turned out I only had a nasty intestinal infection. You could literally hear the disappointed groans when the doctor announce I didn’t have Cholera. Good times…
What’s your dream destination? Phuket and the Maldives
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: I honestly didn’t even know there were other travel websites besides Johnny’s. What are they? I’m really interested to know!
Best travel tip: Always keep enough cash for tips. Carry an American Express card (I have the Zinc). Always be polite, smile and thank everyone who helps you. Take the time to fill out those comment cards for service that goes above and beyond. They really do make a difference. Finally, put Johnny’s website at the top of your travel bookmarks — and when’s the app coming out?? ;)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.