Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Brett Tollman
Occupation: CEO, The Travel Corporation
Hometown: Johannesburg, South Africa
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
College Major: Hospitality
Bio: 3rd generation hotelier. Born in South Africa, raised in Johannesburg, London and then NYC. Graduated from Cornell University. Worked in travel and tourism my entire career. Very passionate about our company, our team, serving our guests and conservation/sustainable travel.
How often do you fly? Almost every week—international, long-haul.
How many countries have you been to? Too many to count.
How many continents have you been to? All of them.
Favorite American city: Home Sweet Home.
Favorite international city: London.
Least favorite country: Don’t have one.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: I try to be polite and nice to all of them.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Grand Canyon National Park.
Favorite airline: SQ, Etihad, JetBlue.
Favorite aircraft type: 380.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Qantas Chairman’s Lounge – Sydney.
Favorite U.S. airport: New Tom Bradley Terminal (LAX).
Favorite international airport: T5—Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: One of ours (redcarnation.com).
Favorite cruise line: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection.
Favorite travel credit card: AMEX—never declined!
Favorite island: North Island, Seychelles.
Favorite beach: Zihuatanejo—Mexico.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Cheneston’s, The Milestone Hotel—London.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: P.J. Clarke’s—NYC.
Favorite fruit: Passion fruit.
Favorite food: Homemade kale salad.
Least favorite food: Fried anything.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Glass of Hannibal—Bouchard Finlayson.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Big Lebowski.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown.
Favorite travel book(s): Any of the 50+ choices on my iPad.
Right now I am reading: “Killing for Profit” by Julian Rademeyer (exposes the illegal rhino horn trade).
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: T+L, Conde Nast Traveler, Travel Newsletter by Entrée, Johnny’s blog.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Peter Greenberg.
5 things you bring on a plane: Several newspapers, magazines, work, laptop, iPad, scarf and sweater.
What do you always seem to forget? I have done pretty well—sometimes I forget things on the plane though.
What do you like least about travel? Leaving my wife and children behind.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty-free store? Nothing.
Favorite travel app(s): TripLingo.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Not had one yet…
Worst travel moment: Dropping several thousand feet on a flight from Singapore to Sydney during typhoon season.
What’s your dream destination? India
Favorite travel charity: Starlight Foundation.
Best travel tip: Do research on the destination and only pack what you really need for your trip.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.