Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Bryan Kattenburg
Occupation: Yacht crew professional
Hometown: Walnut Creek, CA
Residence: Fort Lauderdale, FL
College: Arizona State University
College major: Kinesiology and business
Facebook: Bryan Kattenburg
Short bio: First Mate on Bravo’s Below Deck Mediterranean, premiering Tuesday, May 3 (tomorrow) at 9 pm ET/PT. Brimming with suave confidence, this northern California first mate is a self-proclaimed lover, not a fighter, who takes pride in getting along with everyone. A jack of all trades, Bryan has the skills of both a captain and an engineer and takes pride in his leadership capabilities. Bryan finds being a leader very natural and attributes that largely to his experience being captain of several high school sports teams. With no plans on settling down anytime soon, Bryan has lofty aspirations for his career and fully embraces the yachtie lifestyle of rubbing elbows with elite clientele.
How often do you fly? 10-20 times a year.
How many countries have you been to? 36
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: I wasn’t actually flying, but I remember going to the airport and watching my mom board the plane and pull away from the gate and being upset that she was leaving. Keep in mind this was the early 90s back when you could go to the gate without a boarding pass.
Favorite American city: Miami, FL.
Favorite international city: Barcelona, Spain.
Least favorite country: Hmm, that’s tough to answer. Every country has something attractive about it. But if I had to choose I would say Morocco.
I have no desire to go to: Russia.
Friendliest people in the world: Costa Rican.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: America.
Favorite airline: Virgin.
Favorite aircraft type: 747.
Aisle or window: Window for sure! Who doesn’t like seeing new cities from the sky’s. And it’s a great head rest to sleep in long flights.
Favorite airport lounge: Denver, CO.
Favorite U.S. airport: O’Hare Chicago, with the underground tunnel with the overhead colorful lights.
Favorite international airport: London Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: Marriott, St Thomas.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean. Just so many good memories.
Favorite travel credit card: Need to get one. I’m so used to having flights bought by my employers.
Favorite island: St Martin. Owned by two nations, and is just such a unique place to relax, or party!
Favorite beach: Mullet Bay, St Martin.
Favorite fruit: Pineapple.
Favorite food: Indian/spicy foods.
Least favorite food: Bananas.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Captain Morgan and Sprite. Sugar sugar. Or a nice whiskey on the rocks.
Favorite travel movie(s): Benjamin Button.
Favorite travel show(s): Planet Earth.
Favorite travel book(s): Anything where I can learn about my future destination.
Right now I am reading: “Emotional Intelligence 2.0.”
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Johnny Jet, that’s it.
5 things you bring on a plane: Sunglasses, sweatshirt, computer, Chapstick, water, candy/snacks.
What do you always seem to forget? Phone charger. That’s the worst.
What do you like least about travel? The lines we are forced to stand in through security. It’s just painful to watch the oblivious people.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Cologne.
Favorite travel app(s): Urbanspoon, Uber and of course Tinder.
Most embarrassing travel moment: In Munich, Germany, my friends and I got kicked out of a Burger King cause we were trying to sleep with our heads on the table.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Ibiza.
Worst travel moment: Losing my luggage on the 8th grade DC trip. Out of 200-plus kids, only my bag was lost.
What’s your dream destination? Fiji.
Best travel tip: Go to places you have never been and embrace the culture. Don’t go like you’re on vacation, be curious of the people and the way they live and see it as a chance to grow yourself. Meet the locals and have a go-with-the-flow mentality, and don’t overplan.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.