Name: Carol Dimopoulos
Occupation: President, Perillo’s Learning Journeys & Adjunct Professor, State University of New York, Empire State College
Hometown: Astoria, NY
Residence: Saratoga Springs, NY
College: SUNY (BS), Sage College (MBA) University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (Doctoral Student)
College major: Cultural Studies, Business, Global Leadership
Short bio: Carol Dimopoulos is the President of Perillo’s Learning Journeys, a unique collection of customized travel experiences designed to combine cultural immersions with hands-on learning. She has developed this entirely new market of transformational travel for Perillo Tours, best known for its escorted tours to Italy. Carol is also a yogi with an MBA in international business and a prominent expert in both business and academia for niche market development and transformative travel.
How often do you fly? On average, twice a month. But feels like I’m always in the air.
How many countries have you been to? 78
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: Washington, DC, at the age of three during cherry blossom season. I was hooked on the magic of travel.
Favorite American city: Boston.
Favorite international city: Istanbul.
Least favorite country: I can’t say. I’m an explorer and enjoy each culture and each country’s raw beauty.
I have no desire to go to: None…I will travel anywhere.
Friendliest people in the world: Vietnam.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: United States.
Favorite World Heritage Site: The Megalithic Temples in Malta.
Favorite airline: Turkish Air.
Favorite aircraft type: Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Istanbul.
Favorite U.S. airport: Atlanta.
Favorite international airport: Dubai.
Favorite hotel: It’s hard to say because there are so many! I think I would have to say the Plaza in New York for nostalgia’s sake.
Favorite cruise line: I prefer to immerse myself in a destination and live like a local with my feet on the ground :)
Favorite travel credit card: Visa.
Favorite island: Malta.
Favorite beach: Navagio Beach, Zakynthos Greece.
Favorite National Park: Gangotri National Park, Uttarkashi, India.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Veda—New Delhi, India.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: I love local hidden restaurants. There are too many to choose from. My favorite “hole in the wall” food experiences would be local foodie tours. My favorite so far has been in Ho Chi Minh City on the “Back of the Bike” night food tour. Such fun!
Favorite airport restaurant: Ecco—Atlanta Hartsfield.
Favorite bar: Hotel Eden rooftop in Rome.
Favorite fruit: Blackberries.
Favorite food: Spanakopita.
Least favorite food: I am a vegetarian, so meat is my least favorite food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Lemon water.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Darjeeling Limited.
Favorite travel show(s): Dark Tourist.
Favorite travel podcast(s): “The Thoughtful Travel.”
Favorite travel book(s): “What Makes You Not a Buddhist.”
Right now I am reading: A lot…I am in a doctoral program :) Here are some of my favorites:
- Slimbach, R. (2010). Introduction, Wise for World. “Becoming World Wise: A Guide to Global Learning.”
- Milanovic, B. (2016). “Global Inequality: To the Age of Globalization.”
- MacCanell, D. (2013). The Tourist in 2013; Intro to 1989 Edition; Introduction. In “The Tourist.”
- Honwana, Alcinda (2012). “The time of youth: Work, social change, and politics in Africa.” Kumarian Press: Hartford, CT.
- Vaidhyanathan, Siva (2018) “Anti-Social media: How Facebook disconnects us and undermines democracy.” Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: JohnnyJet.com!
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Jetsetters, National Geographic, Travel + Leisure.
5 things you bring on a plane: Long sweater, books, headphones, essential oils, immunity boosting supplements.
What do you always seem to forget? Toothpaste.
What do you like least about travel? Airports.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Local newspapers.
Favorite travel app(s): Google Translate.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Falling ill in Tibet.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: New Zealand.
Worst travel moment: None…everything is an experience.
What’s your dream destination? Easter Island.
Favorite travel charity: Purkal Stree Shakti: It’s a women’s empowerment project in India providing vocational training and creating opportunities for female entrepreneurs.
Best travel tip: Keep your eyes open…the answers are hidden.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.