Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Charles Yap
Occupation: Director, Global Brand Communications, InterContinental Hotels Group
Facebook: Charles Yap
Short Bio: Charles Yap is Director of Global Brand Communications for InterContinental Hotels Group, and heads up the brand social media strategy for each of the group’s seven hotel brands, including InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza and Hotel Indigo.
Born and raised in Singapore, Charles has been working and living in London since 2008. He is passionate about travel and hotels, Chinese tea, food and photography, a co-hosts #FriFotos, a weekly photo sharing forum on twitter.
In 2011, Charles was named the top travel PR and marketing online influencer by Brilliant Travel Media. He is also a leader of the travel community at Kred, a global index of influence and outreach.
How often do you fly: On average, twice a month
How many countries have you been to: 45
How many continents have you been to: 5
Favorite American city: Boston
Favorite international city: Bangkok
Least favorite country: Travel is a privilege; I haven’t yet been anywhere I do not like.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Angkor Wat
Favorite airline: Virgin Atlantic
Favorite aircraft type: Singapore Airlines A380
Aisle or window: Window on business or first, aisle on economy
Favorite airport lounge: I have two – Western Hemisphere: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London Heathrow Terminal 3. Eastern Hemisphere: Air New Zealand lounge in Melbourne
Favorite U.S. airport: JFK Terminal 7 (especially the BA/QF First Class wing)
Favorite international airport: Singapore Changi (I know I’m home!)
Favorite hotel: InterContinental Hong Kong
Favorite island: Bali
Favorite fancy restaurant: Sketch by Pierre Gagnaire in London
Favorite hole in the wall: The Heron in London, for great, authentic, fiery Thai food (the karaoke is optional, and fun)
Favorite fruit: Durian, the Asian king of fruit
Favorite food: Sushi and sashimi
Least favorite food: Anything deep fried or battered
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) – Champagne, I love Perrier Jouet
Favorite travel movie(s): Catch Me If You Can
Favorite travel show(s): GlobeTrekker
Favorite travel book(s): A Fortune Teller Told Me by Tiziano Terzani
Right now I am reading: Six Rules of Brand Revitalization by Larry Light
Five things you bring on a plane: iPad, noise-cancelling headphones, magazines from the lounge, slippers from my last hotel room, lip balm
What do you always seem to forget: My razor
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Sleep Pillow – the raindrops sound lulls me to sleep, especially when I’m jet lagged.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Leaving my passport in my hotel safe, only to realise as we approached the airport. It was a big lesson learnt, and yes, I made the flight!
What’s your dream destination: Bora Bora
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Gridskipper.com (it’s currently on hiatus, and for sale!)
Best travel tip: Learn to say hello, thank you and a few other phrases in the local language – it goes a long way.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.