Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Chef Jamie Lynch
Occupation: Executive Chef/Partner, 5Church Group; Top Chef contestant
Hometown: Rochester, NY
Residence: Charlotte, NC
Short bio: Chef Jamie Lynch is a New York native and attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington, Vermont where he was awarded a degree in Culinary Arts. Upon graduation, Lynch was offered a position by New York Times’ four-star Le Cirque 2000 Restaurant in The Palace Hotel. He went on to gain experience at culinary heavyweights Aureole, Café Boulud and Tocqueville before moving to Charlotte in 2002 to pursue his dream and open 5Church. Lynch has garnered many accolades such as being voted Best Chef in 2013, 2014 and 2015 in Charlotte Magazine’s “Best of the Best” Awards. He currently serves as the Executive Chef and Partner at 5Church Group, overseeing all three restaurant locations in Charlotte, N.C., Charleston, S.C., and Atlanta, G.A
How often do you fly? Multiple times a month.
How many countries have you been to? Four, other than US.
How many continents have you been to? Two—NA and Europe.
Earliest travel memory: A flight with my mom between Florida and New York.
Favorite American city: NYC.
Favorite international city: Paris.
Least favorite country: Djibouti.
I have no desire to go to: Djibouti.
Friendliest people in the world: The Irish.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Djibouti.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Kathmandu Valley in Nepal.
Favorite airline: Delta.
Favorite aircraft type: One that works well.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: The Centurion Lounge in NYC.
Favorite U.S. airport: Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson.
Favorite international airport: CDG in Paris.
Favorite hotel: The Franklin Hotel in NYC.
Favorite cruise line: Norwegian Cruises.
Favorite travel credit card: Southwest Rapid Rewards.
Favorite island: The kitchen island.
Favorite beach: Tulum, Mexico.
Favorite National Park: Adirondack National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: 11 Madison Park, NYC.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Hattie’s Tap & Tavern in Charlotte, NC.
Favorite bar: I don’t think I’ve been to a bar I didn’t like. Favorite is Sanctuary, Noda, Charlotte.
Favorite fruit: Finger limes.
Favorite food: Jameson.
Least favorite food: Out of season tomatoes.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Jameson, neat.
Favorite travel movie(s): Planes, Trains & Automobiles.
Favorite travel show(s): Parts Unknown by Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” (my autobiography).
Right now I am reading: My 1,602 emails.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, Architectural Digest.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Johnny, you’re the only one for me!
5 things you bring on a plane: My everyday pants.
What do you always seem to forget? Phone charger, keys, computer.
What do you like least about travel? Packing.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Jameson.
Favorite travel app(s): iCal.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Recently on a road trip, I blew up the bathroom at the Flying J Truck Stop. As I was washing my hands, someone walked in and recognized me from Top Chef. The burritos were delicious though.
Worst travel moment: See above.
What’s your dream destination? I want to see it all.
Favorite travel charity: Myself.
Best travel tip: Go everywhere. Wear layers. Bring a snack. Always wear sunscreen.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.