Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Chip Conley
Occupation: Founder, Joie de Vivre Hospitality. Founder, Fest300. Head of Global Hospitality, Airbnb.
Hometown: Long Beach, California
Residence: San Francisco
Short Bio: Founder and former CEO of Joie de Vivre Hospitality for 24 years. Starting at age 26, transformed an inner city motel into the 2nd largest boutique hotel brand in the world. Author of four books, including PEAK and New York Times bestseller, EMOTIONAL EQUATIONS, he’s been a featured speaker at TED. In 2013, launched Fest300, where he shares his passion for world travel, cultures, and festivals. And joined Airbnb as Head of Global Hospitality, where he’s sharing his proven methods with hundreds of thousands of hosts in nearly 200 countries. His blog is at Fest300.
How often do you fly: A few times a month
How many countries have you been to: 58 (22 this year)
How many continents have you been to: 5
Favorite American city: San Francisco
Favorite international city: Marrakech
Least favorite country: Russia
Favorite World Heritage Site: Petra
Favorite airline: Singapore
Favorite aircraft type: Anything that flies
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin Atlantic Heathrow
Favorite U.S. airport: SFO
Favorite international airport: Singapore
Favorite hotel: Hotel Vitale, San Francisco
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Unpack
Favorite cruise line: Don’t do cruises
Favorite island: Bali
Favorite beach: Secret Beach, Kauai
Favorite fancy restaurant: Gary Danko, San Francisco
Favorite hole in the wall: Any taqueria
Favorite fruit: Jackfruit
Favorite food: Quinoa
Least favorite food: Runny scrambled eggs
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Anything with alcohol in it
Favorite travel movie(s): Lawrence of Arabia
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain
Favorite travel book(s): Anything by Pico Iyer
Right now I am reading: Smile While You’re Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: AFAR, Inside the Travel Lab, Gary Arndt
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Matador
Five things you bring on a plane: Earplugs, laptop, a great book, a willingness to meditate, sleeping pills
What do you always seem to forget: A baseball cap to block the sun from my bald head
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Nothing, I just want their love
Favorite travel app(s): World Festival Guide
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting off a plane in Bali and thinking I was in Maui (serious jetlag)
Worst travel moment: Having intestinal parasites while trying to hitchhike on the autobahn in Germany in 100-degree weather
What’s your dream destination: Iceland’s hot springs
Favorite travel charity: Air Charity Network
Best travel tip: If you want serendipity to be your travel partner, travel alone.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.