Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Chris Strodder
Occupation: Author of “The Disneyland Encyclopedia”
Hometown: Santa Cruz, California
Residence: Pismo Beach, California
College major: English
Short bio: Chris Strodder has been visiting Disneyland regularly since 1966 and has been actively researching and photographing the park for two decades. Among his ten published books are four from Santa Monica Press about Disneyland: three editions of “The Disneyland Encyclopedia” (including the newest updated version published in April 2017) and “The Disneyland Book of Lists.”
How often do you fly? Couple times a year.
How many countries have you been to? Six.
How many continents have you been to? Three.
Earliest travel memory: Being photographed for the local newspaper at age two as “the most-traveled baby in town” (my parents had taken me with them on two roundtrips from America to England).
Favorite American city: Mickey’s Toontown, Disneyland California.
Favorite international city: Barcelona, Spain.
I have no desire to go to: Prison like in Midnight Express or Papillon.
Friendliest people in the world: Disneyland cast members.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Redwood National and State Parks.
Favorite airline: Classic Pan Am.
Favorite aircraft type: B-29 Superfortress.
Aisle or window: Cockpit jump seat.
Favorite airport lounge: Flight to the Moon pre-show area, Disneyland, California (1967-1975).
Favorite U.S. airport: John Wayne Airport, Orange County, California.
Favorite international airport: Madrid Barajas International Airport.
Favorite hotel: Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel, Anaheim, California.
Favorite cruise line: Disney Cruises.
Favorite travel credit card: Disneyland Annual Passport.
Favorite island: Tom Sawyer Island, Disneyland, California.
Favorite beach: Castaway Cay, Bahamas.
Favorite National Park: Yosemite.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Blue Bayou, Disneyland, California.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Coke Corner, Disneyland, California.
Favorite airport restaurant: A McDonald’s where I can get french fries.
Favorite bar: Mint Julep Bar, Disneyland, California.
Favorite fruit: Pluot.
Favorite food: Vegetarian.
Least favorite food: Animals.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Pineapple Dole Whip, Disneyland, California.
Favorite travel movie(s): 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Favorite travel show(s): The Samantha Brown one where she goes to Disneyland.
Favorite travel book(s): “Here Is New York” by E. B. White (1949).
Right now I am reading: Astronomy magazine’s guide to the summer solar eclipse.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Micechat.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: Pencil, eraser, highlighter, gold stars, and my Mile High Club log book.
What do you always seem to forget? In Spanish, “si” can mean “yes” or “if.”
Most embarrassing travel moment: When I thought that Spanish girl on the plane said “yes” but she meant “if.”
What do you like least about travel? Nosy flight attendants.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Gum.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Jury duty.
What’s your dream destination? Star Wars Land, Disneyland, California (as of 2019).
Favorite travel charity: “Ladies Overseas Aid” (I Love Lucy episode #137, aired December 12, 1955).
Best travel tip: “Keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.