Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers on useful resources, favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Crai S. Bower
Occupation: Travel writer, radio and television/commentator
Hometown: Canton, New York
Residence: Seattle, Washington
Short Bio: Crai contributes scores of articles and photographs annually to more than 30 publications and online outlets including Alaska Airlines, Journey, The Toronto Star and MSN Travel, where he is also the Lead Travel Blogger. This April, he received an ‘Outstanding Lifestyle Feature Award’ from the American Society of Journalists & Authors, his 4th national writing accolade in as many years. He also appears monthly as travel commentator on KUOW (NPR) & on the American Forces Network. He is the travel commentator for KCPQ-13 TV and is widely syndicated on Tribune Broadcasting. Crai is profiled in “Seattle 100: Portrait of a City – Voices that Matter.”
How often do you fly: Usually a few times a month.
How many countries have you been to: I considered visiting countries like seeing Grateful Dead shows, losing count is part of the fun.
How many continents have you been to: Three or four
Favorite American city: Can I say Montréal? If not Seattle (Or I’d move)
Favorite international city: The last one I visited (London, at the moment)
Least favorite country: Haven’t found it
Favorite World Heritage Site: Galápagos Islands
Favorite airline: Alaska
Favorite aircraft type: De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver
Aisle or window: Window if there’s something to see, aisle if not
Favorite airport lounge: Alaska Airlines Boardroom – SeaTac
Favorite U.S. airport: SeaTac, means I’m going somewhere or just got home.
Favorite international airport: Quito “Hey look, there’s a runway between those buildings!”
Favorite hotel: Gramercy Park Hotel (With a key to the park!)
Favorite cruise line: InnerSea Discoveries
Favorite island: Jamaica
Favorite fancy restaurant: Bearfoot Bistro
Favorite hole in the wall: Kate’s Pub
Favorite fruit: The forbidden kind, when available
Favorite food: Uni
Least favorite food: El cobayo (guinea pig)
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): A tart blend with U’luvka vodka and, when in Canada, the Caesar.
Favorite travel movie(s): Bond
Favorite travel show(s): Sorry, I only watch Serie A, La Liga and English Premier League football.
Favorite travel book(s): “A Moveable Feast”
Right now I am reading: “A Literary Paris”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines: AFAR, Journey, Northwest Travel Magazine
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: MSNtravel.com
Five things you bring on a plane: Usual iDigital stuff, Harney & Sons teabags, National Brand Chemistry Notebook (aka my journal), Waterman fountain pen & a scarf
What do you always seem to forget: The correct plug adaptor
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Very dark chocolate
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): London2Go, Paris2Go, Rome2Go etc
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Hearing, “I’m sorry Mr. Bower, that flight has closed.”
What’s your dream destination: Depends on the day, S. Africa’s on my brain at present.
Favorite travel charity: World Expeditions
Best travel tip: Visit a place with the assumption you’ll visit again
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.