Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Dena Roché
Occupation: Travel & Wellness Journalist and Blogger
College: University of Wisconsin/Milwaukee
College major: Journalism
Facebook: Dena Roché
Google+: Dena Roché
Short bio: Dena Roché is a luxury wellness travel expert and creator of The Travel Diet, a program that teaches travelers how travel feeds your spirit, nourishes your brain AND whittles your waist. Her travel, spa and lifestyle articles have been featured in magazines like Modern Luxury, Robb Report, Great Golf, Destination Weddings & Honeymoons, Life Refined, LuxeBeat and and online publications. Dena is a member of the Society of American Travel Writers, a certified wellness coach and a member of the Advisory Board of the Arizona Spa and Wellness Association and the co-founder of Wellness Travel Media. When not on the road you can find her on a hiking trail, in a wine bar or grabbing sushi with friends in Scottsdale.
How often do you fly? About twice a month.
How many countries have you been to? 52
How many continents have you been to? 6
Earliest travel memory: Telling my parents that Pooh bear was “scared” as a five-year-old sitting on the plane waiting for my first flight.
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: London.
Least favorite country: Egypt.
I have no desire to go to: Syria.
Friendliest people in the world: The Irish.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: I had a bit of a run in in Canada of all places.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Great Barrier Reef.
Favorite airline: South African.
Favorite aircraft type: 787.
Aisle or window: Any seat in business or first!
Favorite airport lounge: Centurion.
Favorite U.S. airport: Don’t have one, but enjoy the whimsy of the ping-pong table at Mitchell International in Milwaukee.
Favorite international airport: Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: Qualia on Hamilton Island, Australia.
Favorite cruise line: Celebrity.
Favorite travel credit card: Venture.
Favorite island: Bora Bora.
Favorite beach: Henning, Australia.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Binkley’s, shockingly in Cave Creek, Arizona.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Shea 32 coffee shop AKA “my office.”
Favorite bar: The Safehouse in my hometown of Milwaukee.
Favorite fruit: Mango.
Favorite food: Sushi.
Least favorite food: Carrots.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Wine, wine and more wine.
Favorite travel movie(s): Up in the Air, The Holiday, Roman Holiday.
Favorite travel show(s): Anything Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): I don’t really read travel books, just lots of books set in locations around the world.
Right now I am reading: “Trauma” by Michael Palmer.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Afar, Departures, Travel to Wellness newsletter.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Skift, ITA Matrix, and (shameless self promo) The Travel Diet.
5 things you bring on a plane: Noise-cancelling headphones, eye mask, Ambien, healthy snacks, my journal, magazines.
What do you always seem to forget? The phone charger.
What do you like least about travel? The process of traveling. When are we going to get “Beam me there Scotty” technology?
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? A great watch or jewelry.
Favorite travel app(s): HopStop.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Opening up the trunk at the airport and realizing the suitcase was still at the top of the staircase at home.
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: China.
Worst travel moment: Stranded on the Perhentian Islands at a resort that was technically closed. When someone says “Go to Hell” I know where I’m supposed to head!
What’s your dream destination? An around-the-world trip via private jet.
Favorite travel charity: Children of the Wilderness.
Best travel tip: Don’t forget to pack your patience, a sense of adventure and some healthy foods to fight the hangry when traveling!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.