Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: DJ Yabis
Occupation: Industrial Engineer and Travel Blogger
Hometown: Manila, Philippines
Residence: Essen, Germany
Short Bio: DJ Yabis is the poster boy of Dream Euro Trip, one of the top European travel blogs. He is a bon vivant who loves throwing dinner parties and stalking rock stars in music festivals. He has been traveling around the world non-stop since 2008 and has lived in Poland, Sweden and Germany. He is also a Euro Trip Travel Designer who designs experiences for individuals and helps them plan their eurotrip.
How often do you fly: Varies but I probably fly around 3-4 times a month.
How many countries have you been to: Around 40? I don’t really count. But I do count how many European cities I’ve been to and that would be 95.
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: I’ve only been to New York in the US and I’m not really a fan so none so far.
Favorite international city: Tough choice. I really really love Stockholm but Berlin is also close to my heart so I’d say it’s a tie.
Least favorite country: Vietnam. The country is beautiful but I had the worst experience with the locals there.
Favorite airline: I wouldn’t call it a favorite but I really enjoy flying with Cathay Pacific.
Aisle or window: Definitely window
Favorite international airport: I actually really like Madrid Barajas airport because it’s architecturally beautiful.
Favorite hotel: I love Shangri-la hotels.
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? I live out of my suitcase. Even at home, I always have a half-empty luggage that begs to be unpacked.
Favorite island: Iceland. It’s an island right?
Favorite beach: Boracay, Philippines. It’s touristy but I lived there for 4 months earlier this year and it’s beautiful. Plus Philippines is home.
Favorite hole in the wall: I love the milk bars in Poland
Favorite fruit: Mango
Favorite food: I eat everything
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Vodka cranberry
Favorite travel movie(s): I watch a lot of foreign films which inspire me to go to a place.
Favorite travel book(s): Night Train to Lisbon
Right now I am reading: Haruki Murakami’s IQ84
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Monocle and GQ
Five things you bring on a plane: A book, a magazine, iPhone, my Macbook laptop, and a sweater.
What do you always seem to forget: Chargers
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? A bottle of perfume and/or vodka
Favorite travel app(s): Angry birds. Keeps me company when I’m bored ;P
Most embarrassing travel moment: I have too many! You name it, I’ve done it.
Worst travel moment: I went to Paris CDG airport 3 hours before my flight to Manila only to find out that my flight was rescheduled and already left without me! I did not receive an email notification about the said change. I went to the airline’s counter and it was already closed. There was no one there. More plot twists: My Schengen visa was about to expire in 24 hours, I lost my ATM in Lithuania, my credit card only has a $2,000 credit limit which means I couldn’t pay for the cheapest flight out of Paris which was 3,000 euros. Que horror! After 3 hours of running around the airport for help, I was able to get in contact with the Paris office of the airline. They were so nice and rebooked me a flight for free the next day. But those 4 hours of torture!
What’s your dream destination: South America. I hope to travel the region in 2014.
Best travel tip: Be spontaneous.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.