Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Erin Michelson
Occupation: Adventure Philanthropist
Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Residence: World Nomad
Facebook: Go Erin Go
Bio: Erin Michelson is a social entrepreneur and the author of Adventure Philanthropist: Great Adventures Volunteering Abroad. The newly published book chronicles her two years traveling to more than 60 counties and all 7 continents, volunteering with non-profit organizations along the way. In addition to donating her time, Erin donated more than $35,000 to organizations working in the communities she visited. Many of the projects she supported were voted on by the readers of her www.GoErinGo.com site. Leaving the world of corporate finance to work in the nonprofit arena, Erin currently runs a consulting firm specializing in exponential growth and expansion strategies for nonprofit organizations. A lover of adventure sports, Erin is a daredevil in both the sporting arena and the field of philanthropy.
How often do you fly? At least once a month—usually long-haul flights.
How many countries have you been to? 84
How many continents have you been to? 6
Favorite American city: NYC
Favorite international city: Istanbul
Least favorite country: Any country where women are systematically oppressed.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Angkor Wat.
Favorite airline: Etihad.
Favorite aircraft type: Dunno.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Airport lounge—what’s that?!
Favorite U.S. airport: Atlanta.
Favorite international airport: O.R. Tambo International Airport (ORTIA) in Johannesburg.
Favorite hotel: Mandarin Oriental.
Favorite cruise line: Seabourne.
Favorite island: Zanzibar.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Spruce, San Francisco.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Burma Superstar, tucked away on Clement Street in San Francisco.
Favorite food: Lebanese.
Least favorite food: Laotian.
Drink of choice: Sprite (air)/3-olive martini.
Favorite travel movie(s): War Photographer.
Favorite travel show(s): Locked Up Abroad.
Favorite travel book(s): Down Under.
Right now I am reading: Michael Ondaatje’s Anil’s Ghost.
5 things you bring on a plane: Kindle, iPod, inflatable travel pillow, Ibprofen, hand wipes with disinfectant.
What do you always seem to forget? Where the bathroom is! I average a new country every 10 days, and each night I have a small panic attack just before I fall asleep about finding the bathroom in the dark.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): CNNGo.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Pick one! Kenyan Airways flight with one engine out, head-on collision with a truck in Ethiopia, jumping from a moving car in Malawi, run over by a motorbike in Hanoi…
What’s your dream destination? Colombia’s Lost City.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: TripAdvisor.
Best travel tip: Register with the U.S. State Department (https://step.state.gov/step/) before traveling to receive in-country travel alerts and invitations to consulate events.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.