Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without
Name: Fran Golden
Occupation: Travel writer/editor
Hometown: West Hartford, Conn.
Residence: Oberlin, Ohio
Facebook: Fran Golden
YouTube: Fran Golden
Short Bio: Fran Golden is a well-known cruise and travel writer and contributing editor for Budget Travel magazine. She is the author of two dozen travel books including the soon-to-debut eBook, “Frommer’s How to Plan the Perfect Cruise.”
How often do you fly: At least once a month
How many countries have you been to: 80 and counting
How many continents have you been to: Six
Favorite American city: Boston, Beantown rules!
Favorite international city: Rome
Least favorite country: I usually find something fascinating wherever I go, so can’t say I have one.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Ephesus
Favorite airline: I tend towards Delta, but only because if you get to Gold status they upgrade you pretty regularly.
Favorite aircraft type: Anything with two aisles
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite airport lounge: British Airways, Heathrow
Favorite U.S. airport: Boston
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam
Favorite hotel: Hotel Raphael Paris
Favorite cruise line: The line I recommend to friends the most because it is so well priced is Celebrity Cruises, especially their newer, Solstice-class ships. But I personally have a lot of favorites.
Favorite island: Moorea
Favorite fancy restaurant: Clio in Boston
Favorite hole in the wall: The Feve in Oberlin
Favorite fruit: Passion fruit
Favorite food: Truffles
Least favorite food: Brains
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Vodka Martini, straight up, extra olives.
Favorite travel movie(s): Easy Rider (love Jack Nickolson).
Favorite travel show(s): Michael Palin Around the World in 80 Days (and yes, I’m a Monty Python fan too).
Favorite travel book(s): Has to be Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger, the explorer and writer.
Right now I am reading: Life and Times of a Rolling Stone by Keith Richards and also, of course, Fifty Shades of Grey
Five things you bring on a plane: My Kindle, either The Atlantic Magazine or Vanity Fair, a newspaper, a bean-filled pillow, eye shades
What do you always seem to forget: Headphones
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Nothing, but if he gets a sudden urge to spend whatever he chooses I will love.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): CNN
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Getting on the wrong plane and then having to deplane after the flight attendants announced the destination.
What’s your dream destination: Right now, I am craving a visit to one of the palace hotels in Rajasthan. But I have a lot of dreams.
Best travel tip: Talk to the locals. It’s impossible to really get to know a place if you don’t.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.