Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Gregory Diehl
Occupation: Author, Consultant and Coach
Hometown: Encinitas, California, USA
Residence: All over the world, but I have home bases in Vilcabamba, Ecuador and Tbilisi, Georgia
College major: None
Facebook: Gregory V. Diehl
YouTube: Gregory V. Diehl
Short bio: I left California at 18 to explore our world and learn about myself. Now I write books and help people figure out their identities in business and life. My first book, Brand Identity Breakthrough, is an Amazon business bestseller. My new book, “Travel As Transformation,” chronicles the personal evolution worldwide exploration has brought to me and others.
How often do you fly? Recently, just about every month or two. But it changes frequently. I like to stay a while in one place to really get to experience life there.
How many countries have you been to? 45, if you count territories and overseas territories.
How many continents have you been to? Five: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia.
Earliest travel memory: My first trip abroad was at 18. I spent nine months visiting a friend in Costa Rica. That was where I realized the life-changing potential of travel and I became obsessed with seeing more of the world.
Least favorite country: China, for a lot of reasons I don’t have the space or emotional capacity to go into here. There’s a whole chapter about it in my book.
I have no desire to go to: Most of the big cities everyone raves about.
Friendliest people in the world: Filipinos.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: The UK border guards interrogated me for two hours because I told them I was going to be housesitting for a friend. They thought it meant I was coming there to work illegally. It doesn’t exactly make me want to go back.
Aisle or window: Aisle. I have the world’s smallest bladder.
Favorite island: Mindanao, Philippines.
Favorite fruit: I’m hurryin’ for durian.
Favorite travel movie(s): Cast Away.
Favorite travel book(s): “Walden.”
Right now I am reading: “Travel As Transformation.”
5 things you bring on a plane:
- Laptop so I can work
- Noise-canceling headphones so I can escape other people
- Dark chocolate to ease the stress of flying
- Music to dull the madness
- About a million movies
What do you always seem to forget? Checking in to my flight online.
What do you like least about travel? Being crammed into small spaces and crowded with other travelers.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Oceania.
Worst travel moment: Getting sick for days from Indian street food in Delhi.
What’s your dream destination? Ecuador—or anywhere with a lot of wildlife.
Best travel tip: Travel to places that challenge you. Don’t just go where it is easy. Stretch the limits of your awareness.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.