Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Hanne Hellvik
College: Bachelor’s in Sociology
College major: Masters in Development Management
Facebook: Places, People, Stories
Short bio: Hanne Hellvik is a Norwegian girl that has travelled to over 50 countries. Usually sustainable, staying longer time at each place. She was the director of a foundation named “Yo voy a Ti” working with street kids for almost two years. She also is the founder of the same foundation in Uganda. Now she is working as a freelancer, and has her own blog named Places, People, Stories. She also writes for other popular travel websites, magazines and newspapers.
How often do you fly? It depends a lot. It can range all from 1-10 times per month.
How many countries have you been to? Over 50.
How many continents have you been to? 5 (North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Africa).
Earliest travel memory: When I was six years old my parents took us on a trip down Europe in car. From Norway, to Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Poland and Sweden.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: London.
Least favorite country: France.
Friendliest people in the world: Indians.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Bolivia—had so many problems with them!
Favorite World Heritage Site: Petra, Jordan.
Favorite airline: KLM.
Aisle or window: Window—better for sleep and I like watching out on the take-off and landing.
Favorite airport lounge: Kigali International Airport lounge. I was treated very well there. Delicious food and fast Wi-Fi.
Favorite U.S. airport: JFK.
Favorite international airport: Schiphol.
Favorite hotel: Hotel Luna Salada, Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean.
Favorite travel credit card: Visa.
Favorite island: Close between the many San Blas islands and the Maldives islands.
Favorite beach: In Aruba.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Paprika, in Cochabamba Bolivia.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Oasis, also in Cochabamba.
Favorite fruit: Bananas.
Favorite food: Salmon.
Least favorite food: Cow stomach. It is just disgusting!
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Wine.
Favorite travel movie(s): Eat Pray Love.
Favorite travel show(s): A Norwegian show, where they send Norwegian families to live with local people around the world. So funny!
Favorite travel book(s): Any social/anthropological books.
Right now I am reading: Paulo Coelho.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: AFAR, Wanderlust, National Geographic Traveler.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!
5 things you bring on a plane: Mp3 player, book, antibac, tissues, and sleeping pillow.
What do you always seem to forget? Shampoo.
What do you like least about travel? All the waiting.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Chocolate, my favorite make-up and a bottle or two of wine.
Favorite travel app(s): FlightBoard.
Most embarrassing travel moment: When they did not let me check-in on my flight from Nigeria to Uganda.
Worst travel moment: The same as above. In the end they let me in, but lost my luggage.
What’s your dream destination? Myanmar.
Best travel tip: When in a new place try to talk with the locals and ask for advices. No one knows a country and its culture and history better than the people living there.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.