Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Hans Birkholz
Occupation: CEO and President of Windstar Cruises
Residence: Seattle, WA
College: University of Minnesota for undergrad, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton Business School, for grad school
College major: Business Administration
Facebook: Windstar Cruises
Pinterest: Windstar Cruises
Short bio: Hans Birkholz serves as Chief Executive Officer and President of Windstar Cruises, a leader in small ship luxury cruises. Since joining in May of 2010, Birkholz has steered Windstar through a major transitional period implementing many new successful initiatives, including fleet expansion and an $18-million fleet-wide renovation project.
Birkholz holds a master’s degree in business administration from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Minnesota. Birkholz’s passion for Windstar Cruises comes from a long history of competitive sailing. He lives in Seattle with his wife and son.
How often do you fly? Approximately 30 times a year.
How many countries have you been to? 73 countries.
How many continents have you been to? 6 continents.
Earliest travel memory: The first long flight I remember being on was a Pan Am flight to to the Middle East when I was 8 years. It was a Boeing 707, and a trans-Atlantic flight, which at the time, was a pretty big deal.
Favorite American city: Whichever one I am currently living in. At the moment, that’s Seattle.
Favorite international city: Rome, Italy.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Sistine Chapel.
Favorite airline: Delta.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite hotel: Kimpton Hotels.
Favorite cruise line: Windstar Cruises.
Favorite island: Staniel Cay in The Exuma Cays.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Blueacre Seafood in Seattle.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Soggy Dollar Bar in Joost Van Dyke.
Favorite bar: The Connaught Bar in London.
Favorite food: Confit de canard or any dish made/served with white truffles.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): In the air it is club soda with lime, at sea it is a classic martini.
Favorite travel movie(s): Lawrence of Arabia.
Right now I am reading: The Economist.
Best travel tip: The secret to traveling light, you pack three of everything: one to wear, one to wash and one for reserves.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.