Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Harriet Baskas
Occupation: Writer, Radio Producer
Hometown: Born in New Rochelle, NY
Residence: Seattle, Wa.
Facebook: Stuck At The Airport
Short Bio: Former community radio station manager, now radio producer & writer most comfortable in airports or unusual museums.
How often do you fly: Once or twice a month; sometimes more.
How many countries have you been to: Not all of them. Yet.
How many continents have you been to: Not all of them yet.
Favorite American city: Any city with airport; but partial to Portland, OR
Favorite international city: Any city with airport; but partial to Amsterdam
Least favorite country: Can’t tell you until I’ve seen them all.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Can’t tell you until I’ve seen them all.
Favorite airline: The one that gets me there when I need to go.
Favorite aircraft type: New
Aisle or window: Aisle; Don’t fence me in.
Favorite airport lounge: Any that will invite me in.
Favorite U.S. airport: Love ‘em all; especially if they offer free Wi-Fi, power outlets and great art.
Favorite international airport: Love ‘em all. See above.
Favorite hotel: Those that get small details right; i.e. the Indiana motel that greets road-weary guests with small goodie bags of candy.
Favorite Cruise Line: Any on which I don’t get sea sick.
Favorite island: Shaw Island, Washington. Not far from my home, but just visited for the first time.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Those where I can see the food – and afford it.
Favorite hole in the wall: Any bar where I can eat peanuts and
throw the shells on the floor.
Favorite fruit: Blueberries
Favorite food: Blueberries or popcorn
Least favorite food: Milkshakes
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Bourbon
Favorite travel movie(s): Kindergarten Cop. Not technically a travel movie, but I get weepy seeing Astoria, OR streets where it was filmed and where I once lived.
Favorite travel book(s): Guidebook/novels about next place I’m going.
Right now I am reading: My RSS feed.
Five things you bring on a plane: Snacks, sweater, patience, books, notepad.
What do you always seem to forget: How much I hate the noise of hotel room heating/cooling systems.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Wacky, foreign snacks.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Airport apps; maps; Skype.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Not long after 9/11, I almost caused a shut-down of DCA airport: left my carry-on behind while taking notes for a story.
What’s your dream destination: Hoping to do an unusual museum round-the-world tour.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! StuckatTheAirport.com, of course.
Best travel tip: Always pack a pad of sticky notes. I’ve used them to replace missing “Do not disturb” signs, to ask housekeeping for supplies and to entertain young seatmates.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.