Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: James Boyd
Occupation: VP of PR – Americas, Singapore Airlines
Hometown: Oceanside, California
Residence: New York, New York
Short Bio: As head of PR for Singapore Airlines in the Americas, I’m lucky to have had many deeply enriching travel experiences all across the globe. Whether it’s the maiden voyage aboard the world’s largest aircraft, or launching the world’s longest-distance flights, or publicizing new SIA destinations in exotic locales, there’s always been a new sight to take in, new people to meet and new adventures to enjoy. But for all the faraway places I’ve seen, the best journeys take me home to NYC and my new family.
How often do you fly: Slowing down now: 2-3 times monthly
How many countries have you been to: stopped counting…
How many continents have you been to: 6
Favorite American city: New York
Favorite international city(ies): Paris, Stockholm, Geneva, Auckland
Least favorite country: You’re kidding, right?
Favorite World Heritage Site: Le Pont d’Avignon/Palais des Papes; Independence Hall in Philadelphia
Favorite airline: Singapore Airlines! (good answer, right?)
Favorite aircraft type: Now: A380. Back then: Concorde.
Aisle or window: Window, please.
Favorite airport lounge: The Private Room at Changi Terminal 3. Or the Virgin Clubhouse at JFK T4.
Favorite U.S. airport: Las Vegas McCarran
Favorite international airport: Singapore Changi (biases aside, it’s pretty perfect…), followed by Stockholm Arlanda
Favorite hotel: The Ritz (London), Four Seasons Jimbaran (Bali), Huka Lodge (New Zealand)
Favorite cruise line: Crystal Cruises
Favorite island: Manhattan
Favorite fancy restaurant: Gotham Bar & Grill (the world’s best-trained restaurant staff), followed by Le Bernardin
Favorite hole in the wall: The late Roberto’s Tacos on Hill Street (now the ambitiously named “Pacific Coast Highway”) in my hometown of Oceanside, CA. May their flawless carne asada burritos rest in well-deserved peace.
Favorite fruit: Anything in the welcome fruit basket at the Shangri-La Hotel in Singapore (Valley Wing, natch…)
Least favorite food: Okra. Sorry, mom…
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Vodka martini, very dry, with a twist
Favorite travel movie(s): An Affair to Remember, When Harry Met Sally
Favorite travel book(s): A Room with A View
Right now I am reading: Maurice by E.M. Forster, and a collection of Edith Wharton short stories
Five things you bring on a plane: Eyeshade, earplugs only.
What do you always seem to forget: iPhone charger
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store?: Really good single malt scotch.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Flight Track
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Worst: Being trapped abroad during the week U.S. airspace was closed after 9/11.
What’s your dream destination: Home
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Jaunted.com
Best travel tip: Take a breath. Enjoy the journey.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.