Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Jane Engle
Occupation: Yahoo! Travel blogger; editor, writer and online content manager focusing on travel, health and technology.
Hometown: Des Plaines, Ill.
Residence: Los Angeles
Short Bio: I’m a travel enthusiast, consumer reporter and all-round news hound. Former Los Angeles Times columnist (“More for Your Money,” “Travel Insider”), blogger and assistant travel editor. Passionate about bicycling, birding and boogie-boarding.
How often do you fly: Not often enough.
How many countries have you been to: 21
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: New Orleans. One of the last truly original cultures in the country.
Favorite international city: Hong Kong. It’s Manhattan on steroids, with the setting of San Francisco and an ancient Chinese soul.
Least favorite country: None. Every place has something worth experiencing.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Yellowstone National Park.
Favorite airline: The one that still serves free, hot meals in domestic economy class – if only I could find it.
Favorite aircraft type: Airbus A380
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: I fly coach, so I rarely sample lounges.
Favorite U.S. airport: San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport in California. Yes, airports can be adorable.
Favorite international airport: Singapore’s Changi
Favorite hotel: Back Bay Inn in Los Osos, Calif., in the Morro Bay area. An out-of-the-way spot for chilling out.
Favorite cruise line: Cunard Line. I can’t resist afternoon tea at sea.
Favorite island: Kauai
Favorite fancy restaurant: Any place that I visit with the right dining companion is fancy enough for me.
Favorite hole in the wall: Clover Grill in New Orleans
Favorite fruit: Mango
Favorite food: Key lime pie
Least favorite food: Licorice
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Sauvignon blanc
Favorite travel movie(s): Out of Africa
Favorite travel show(s): The Amazing Race
Favorite travel book(s): The guidebook for wherever I’m going next.
Right now I am reading: Every piece of travel news I can find.
Five things you bring on a plane: Hand sanitizer, water, eye mask, ear plugs, nasal spray
What do you always seem to forget: Nothing. I’m totally OCD.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Nothing. I’d rather have a unique object bought directly from a local craftsperson.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Anything with maps
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: When my carry-on bag flunked the weight test for a 16-hour flight to Asia. I had to spread out all my personal stuff on the floor at LAX and repack.
What’s your dream destination: The Serengeti during the Great Migration
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Kayak.com
Best travel tip: Don’t be a jerk when you complain about service glitches. Just be firm and friendly, and you’ll probably get what you want.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.