Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: JB & Renée Macatulad
Occupation: JB—Web/graphic designer/Renée—Domestic Engineer/JB & Renée—Travel bloggers
Hometown: Manila, Philippines
Residence: Manila, Philippines
College: JB—Georgetown University, Academy of Art University/Renée—University of the Philippines
College major: JB—English Literature (Georgetown), Fine Art/Literature (AAU)/Renée—Humanities
Facebook: Will Fly for Food
Pinterest: Will Fly for Food
YouTube: Will Fly for Food
Short bio: JB & Renée are the Traveleaters behind Will Fly for Food, a travel blog for the gastronomically inclined. They travel for food and are on a quest to try every country’s national dish.
How often do you fly? We usually fly 3-4 times a year but that’s increased a lot for JB lately. By the time 2018 is over, JB will have visited nine foreign countries and two destinations within the Philippines.
How many countries have you been to? 25 collectively.
How many continents have you been to? Four.
Earliest travel memory: Traveling to Hong Kong as children with our respective families. Hong Kong is often the first international destination for many Filipinos.
Favorite American city: JB—San Francisco/Renée—Los Angeles.
Favorite international city: JB—Osaka/Renée—Istanbul.
Least favorite country: JB—India/Renée—Indonesia (with the exception of Bali).
I have no desire to go to: JB & Renée—Nigeria.
Friendliest people in the world: JB & Renée—Turkey.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: JB—U.S.A./Renée—Australia.
Favorite World Heritage Site: JB—Hoi An/Renée—Yosemite National Park.
Favorite airline: JB & Renée—Singapore Airlines.
Favorite aircraft type: JB—Small turboprop plane/Renée—Boeing 787.
Aisle or window: JB—Window/Renée—Aisle.
Favorite U.S. airport: JB—SFO/Renée—LAX.
Favorite international airport: JB & Renée—Changi Airport.
Favorite hotel: JB—El Nido Resorts/Renée—W Hotel.
Favorite cruise line: JB & Renée—We’ve only been on one cruise liner so far—Costa Cruises.
Favorite island: JB—Palawan/Renée—Santorini.
Favorite beach: JB & Renée—Boracay.
Favorite National Park: JB—Royal Chitwan National Park/Renée—Yosemite National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: JB & Renée—Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand).
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: JB & Renée—Bacolod Chicken Parilla (Quezon City, Philippines).
Favorite airport restaurant: JB & Renée—Army Navy (NAIA 3, Pasay, Philippines).
Favorite bar: JB & Renée—Any bar in the Poblacion area (Makati, Philippines).
Favorite fruit: JB—Philippine mango/Renée—Banana.
Favorite food: JB—Sushi/Renée—Lamb.
Least favorite food: JB—Canned tuna/Renée—Stinky tofu.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): JB—Beer/Renée—Tanqueray gin.
Favorite travel movie(s): JB—Before Sunrise trilogy/Renée—Up (LOL).
Favorite travel show(s): JB & Renée—Parts Unknown and anything else with Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): JB—”The Alchemist” by Paolo Coehlo/Renée—”Eat Pray Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert.
Right now I am reading: JB—”Wind/Pinball” by Haruki Murakami/Renée—”Altar of Secrets” by Aries C. Rufo.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: JB—Wandering Earl, Legal Nomads, The Everywhereist/Renée—Conde Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure, Lonely Planet.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! JB & Renée—TripAdvisor.
5 things you bring on a plane: JB—Neck pillow, pen, laptop, camera, magazines/Renée—Shawl, neck pillow, Netflix downloads on mobile, toothbrush, eyedrops.
What do you always seem to forget? JB—Sunblock/Renée—Sunglasses.
What do you like least about travel? JB—Long flights/Renée—Unpacking.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? JB—Any bottle of liquor/Renée—Perfume.
Favorite travel app(s): JB—Sygic Travel/Renée—Weather app.
Most embarrassing travel moment: JB—Farting in an airplane and having my elderly seatmate notice it/Renée—Going the wrong way on a walkalator and taking over a minute to realize it (texting on phone).
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: JB & Renée—Batanes.
Worst travel moment: JB—Renée fighting with me while I was away on a solo trip/Renée—When my mom passed away while I was in Bali.
What’s your dream destination? JB—Antarctica/Renée—Orient Express going anywhere.
Favorite travel charity: JB & Renée—WWF.
Best travel tip: Keep an open mind and always try the local food.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.