Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Jen Pollack Bianco
Occupation: Writer slash photographer turned travel blogger
Residence: Rimowa Salsa Air luggage
Bio: Jen Pollack Bianco is a Los Angeles-based writer and photographer and travel blogger who runs the multi-media travel diary, My Life’s A Trip. An expert at marrying pop culture and travel, Jen has flown to Iceland for a Foo Fighters concert and jetted to Pyongyang, North Korea to see the Mass Games. Jen has visited 74 countries. She is also at the forefront of the budding mobile photography movement. Her iPhoneography featured on prominent websites it has been displayed in galleries in Miami, New York, Berkeley. In April 2012, her iPhone video work will be shown at The Orange County Center for Contemporary Art (OCCA) as part of their A Pocket Full of Vision Exhibit in conjunction with the Mobile Photo Awards.
How often do you fly: Internationally usually twice a month. Anything less than 10 hours is just commuting. Last year I flew over 200,000 miles.
How many countries have you been to: 74 thus far, including all of the communist ones.
How many continents have you been to: 6 of the 7 (need something on my “to-do” list)
Favorite American city: Other than LA, New York and San Francisco (tie)
Favorite international city: Tokyo
Least favorite country: Costa Rica
Favorite World Heritage Site: Hard to pick just one. The temples of Cambodia’s Angkor and Egypt’s Giza are standouts. Also, Argentina’s Iguazu Park and the falls are exceptional. Jordan has Petra and Wadi Rum.
Favorite airline: Cathay Pacific
Favorite aircraft type: A380
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite airport lounge: The Wing, Cathay’s Hong Kong lounge
Favorite U.S. airport: LAX
Favorite international airport: Hong Kong International
Favorite cruise line: I love the canal boats that you can take in Amsterdam. I rented one for my birthday one year.
Favorite island: Koh Samui
Favorite fancy restaurant: Le Bernardin
Favorite hole in the wall: l Torquati in Rome.
Favorite fruit: mango
Favorite food: sushi
Least favorite food: Lufthansa coach once served a corned beef and cabbage that was criminal.
Favorite travel movie(s): All the James Bond films, Lost In Translation, Midnight in Paris
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations, An Idiot Abroad
Five things you bring on a plane: a camera, eye shades, iPad, headphones, saline eye drops.
What do you always seem to forget: To turn off my international data roaming on my iPhone.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Award Wallet, Uber car service (I use it in NY, and they just launched in LA and Toronto), Taxi Magic, the Expedia Hotels app is fun, Hotel Tonight, and XE mobile app for international currency conversion.
Favorite travel book(s): Off the Rails in Phnom Penh: Into the Dark Heart of Guns, Girls, and Ganja by Amit Gilboa
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Realizing I was wearing a t-shirt that said “Make Love, Not War” on the back to a brunch filled with war veterans on ANZAC day in Australia. That was all kinds of awkward.
What’s your dream destination: I’d really like to get to Bhutan. And I’d really like to see the gorillas in Uganda.
Best travel tip: If you are a US citizen who travels more than 2 times a year internationally, sign up for the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program. It’s such a time saver their even rolling it out for kids. Best $100 I’ve ever spent on travel.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.