Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Jennifer Heigl
Occupation: Writer, Photographer, Entrepreneur
Hometown: Milan, Michigan
Residence: Portland, Oregon
Short Bio: Jennifer Heigl is a writer, photographer, and entrepreneur originally from the Midwest. She is the former co-owner of Zen Kitchen Catering, an award-winning organic catering company in Portland, Oregon, and the author of Career Diary of a Caterer (GGC Publishing, Inc, 2007), a 30-day-in-the-life account of running a catering business. In addition to Daily Blender, Jennifer has been a contributor to Delta Sky, Northwest Palate, and The Writer magazines, as well as online at BBC.com, Accidental Hedonist, Societe Perrier, BootsNAll, Focus Organic, Super Chef, Must Have Menus, and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reader blogs.
How often do you fly: Once or twice a month
How many countries have you been to: 16
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: New York City
Favorite international city: Adelaide, South Australia
Least favorite country: Haven’t found one yet…
Favorite airline: Hawaiian Airlines
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite U.S. airport: Atlanta
Favorite international airport: London Heathrow
Favorite hotel: The Carlyle, New York. So much fabulous history.
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Depends on how long I’m staying. 3 days or less: suitcase; 4 days or more: closet
Favorite cruise line: Windstar
Favorite island: St. Croix, USVI
Favorite fancy restaurant: Le Bernardin, New York
Favorite hole in the wall: Por Que No, Portland
Favorite fruit: Cantaloupe
Favorite food: Oregon Dungeness crab
Least favorite food: Tomatoes
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Manhattan
Favorite travel movie(s): Up In The Air
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations (RIP)
Favorite travel book(s): Into Thin Air
Right now I am reading: Owen King’s Double Feature
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Conde Nast Traveler, Afar
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Travelzoo, BootsNAll, TripAdvisor
Five things you bring on a plane: Ibuprofen, headphones, sleep mask, ear plugs, plenty of snacks and water.
What do you always seem to forget: Nothing. I’m a crazy checklist packer.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Perfume
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Google Maps
Most embarrassing travel moment: Not paying attention to the address on a party invite in NYC and having to cough up $5 for a cab ride that took me around the block and dropped off twenty feet from where I had hailed it.
Worst travel moment: Complaining about walking around Paris during a family trip when I was in my teens. I sadly haven’t been able to make it back to Paris yet to remedy my youthful ignorance.
What’s your dream destination: Antarctica
Best travel tip: Reduce overpacking by printing out your itinerary and scribbling down each outfit for each day.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.