Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers on useful resources, favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Jennifer Weatherhead Harrington
Hometown: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Residence: Toronto, Ontario
Short Bio: After growing up in a very small community and never venturing further than the next province, I got the travel bug after my first visit to England when I was 16. Then school happened and I focused on job hunting. Now I have the luxury of traveling quite often for work at ELLE Canada, usually in a luxurious way, but I always love to fit in a road trip, or a weekend jaunt with friends in a more budget-conscious way. Pretty Chic Travel has been the added bonus of getting to blog about experiences, destinations and my other two passions — all things fashion and beauty that relate to travel.
How often do you fly: Usually once per month.
How many countries have you been to: 33 and counting!
How many continents have you been to: 5
Favorite American city: That’s a tough one. Philadelphia has a great sentimental value for me because my husband’s family lives there and I visit often, but I love Chicago for the food and New York City for the shopping.
Favorite international city: I love the chilled vibe in Lisbon and the bustling streets of Lima.
Favorite World Heritage Site: City of Cuzco in Peru and Old Town Lunenberg in Nova Scotia for a taste of home.
Favorite airline: Porter for Canadian and east coast flights, and Emirates.
Aisle or window: Aisle! For the tiny bit of extra legroom and the freedom to get up and move as I please.
Favorite airport lounge: The Porter lounge at Billy Bishop Island Airport in Toronto.
Favorite U.S. airport: Denver
Favorite international airport: London Heathrow and Dubai (shopping!)
Favorite hotel: COMO Shambhala in Ubud, Bali, and Gondwana Game Reserve in Mossel Bay, South Africa.
Favorite cruise line: Haven’t been on a cruise yet … bucket list?
Favorite island: Caribbean-wise, Anguilla because it is so laid back and quiet. Otherwise I wouldn’t turn down staying on Isla Suasi on Lake Titicaca again in Peru.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Sketch in London.
Favorite hole in the wall: John’s Lunch in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. It looks totally shady and dirty from the outside (complete with a boarded up window), but they serve up the best fish ‘n chips I’ve ever had. Hands down, nothing comes close anywhere else, and I’ve eaten loads of fish ‘n chips.
Favorite fruit: Papaya and apples.
Favorite food: Quinoa
Least favorite food: Mushrooms! But that’s because I am allergic. Also not a fan of shellfish.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Water and more water.
Favorite travel movie(s): Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. The best combo – food and travel.
Right now I am reading: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Travel + Leisure
Five things you bring on a plane: iPod, iPad, lip blam, scarf, eye mask to help get some shut eye.
What do you always seem to forget: Sunglasses! Now I have a collection of cheapies.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Candy or chocolates.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Skype to always stay connected.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: I had intense food poisoning on an 8-hour overnight flight from Lima to New York. Then a 6-hour layover in New York. It felt like an eternity.
What’s your dream destination: I have my heart set on the Philippines and Botswana at the moment.
Favorite travel charity: RighttoPlay.com. It’s not necessarily a travel charity, but seeing the world opens your eyes to all the children you see on your travels. And it reminds me that kids should be kids and have the right to play.
Best travel tip: Be adventurous and try something new! I’m terrified of water, but I have done so many water related things (even shark cage diving in South Africa), and never end up regretting taking on my fear. You never know what you might end up loving.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.