Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Joel Serra-Bevin
Occupation: Global Community Manager for EatWith.com
Hometown: Napier, New Zealand
Residence: Barcelona, Spain
Short bio: I live with just one aim—to make the world eat better and eat together. I used to be a suit and tie before buying myself a big knife and founding PapaSerra.com in the food heaven that is Barcelona. Now I combine tech and food for global foodie community EatWith.com, which offers local dining experiences in people’s homes around the world.
How often do you fly? 3-5 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 24
How many continents have you been to? 5
Favorite American city: Brooklyn, New York.
Favorite international city: Any city or small town in Italy where the people, culture and food is rich.
Least favorite country: Belgium (it rained and I wanted more from the local cuisine than ‘”chips and beer”).
Favorite World Heritage Site: Milford Sound, New Zealand.
Favorite airline: Royal Jordanian (for serving mezze of fresh cheese, pickles, falafel and hummus as the best in-flight meal of my life).
Favorite aircraft type: The bigger the better. I usually spend half my time at the back of the plan doing yoga if there is space.
Aisle or window: Always window.
Favorite airport lounge: Anywhere that has a view of arrivals and departures.
Favorite U.S. airport: Philadelphia.
Favorite international airport: Istanbul (for the chaos).
Favorite hotel: Swissotel in Moscow for the pool and caviar for breakfast.
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Out of my suitcase like an animal.
Favorite cruise line: Crystal Serenity (but anything that doesn’t run aground will do).
Favorite island: Samoa where you pick fresh coconuts off the trees every morning.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Can Roca in Girona, Spain.
Favorite hole in the wall: Ovid’s for Sabihk in Tel Aviv.
Favorite fruit: Mango and only if I can eat it with my hands.
Favorite food: Olives.
Least favorite food: Salami.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Gin tonic in the air. Vermouth with soda on the ground.
Favorite travel movie(s): Ratatouille.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations.
Favorite travel book(s): “The Art of Travel” (Alain de Botton).
Right now I am reading: Email and cook books.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! triptease.com
5 things you bring on a plane: Notebook and pen; a picnic; laptop; toothbrush; sleep debt.
What do you always seem to forget? Extra socks.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Local liquor.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Unlike City Guides, Wist, TripAdvisor.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Falling asleep in departures lounge and missing a connection. See above what I bring on the plane (#5).
Worst travel moment: Getting lost in a Swedish forest on the small island of Gotland with no way for anybody to find me. Also one of my best moments.
What’s your dream destination? The Canadian Rockies.
Favorite travel charity: EarthBox from GlobalVolunteers.org
Best travel tip: I have 10 :)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.