Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: John Aldridge
Occupation: Commercial fisherman
Hometown: Oakdale, NY
Residence: Montauk, NY
Facebook: Anna Mary Fisheries, INC.
Short bio: John Aldridge has been a commercial fisherman in Montauk, New York, for 20 years. With his childhood friend, Anthony Sosinski, he owns and operates the Anna Mary, a 45-foot lobster boat docked in Montauk Harbor. On July 24, 2013, Aldridge fell overboard in the middle of the night, 40 miles from shore, with no life jacket. For more than 12 hours, he was alone in the chilly North Atlantic water, buoyed only by his fishing boots. The U.S. Coast Guard, aided by more than 20 members of the Montauk fishing fleet, launched a major search-and- rescue operation that culminated in Aldridge’s rescue late that afternoon. Aldridge’s story of survival was the subject of a cover article in The New York Times Magazine and is also told in the May 2017 book, “A Speck in the Sea” (Weinstein Books), a book he co-authored with Anthony Sosinski.
How often do you fly? 3-4x year.
How many countries have you been to? 4
How many continents have you been to? 3
Earliest travel memory: Going to Jamaica at 18 with my friend Timmy, drinking Dirty Bananas and watching the local kids play soccer on the beautiful beach.
Favorite American city: NYC.
Favorite international city: Rome.
I have no desire to go to: India.
Friendliest people in the world: Deer Isle, ME.
Favorite airline: Million-Air.
Favorite aircraft type: Private.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Wherever they serve Budweiser.
Favorite island: Shelter Island.
Favorite beach: The one next to my house.
Favorite National Park: Yosemite National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Almond, Bridgehampton.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: The Dock.
Favorite bar: Liars Saloon.
Favorite fruit: Mangoes—‘cause they’re always in season.
Favorite food: Pizza.
Least favorite food: Green beans.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): B-U-D-W-E-I-S-E-R.
Favorite travel movie(s): Planes, Trains & Automobiles.
Favorite travel show(s): F@#K That’s Delicious, VICE TV.
Right now I am reading: “Adrift,” Steven Callahan.
5 things you bring on a plane: Water, snacks, phone, earbuds & neck pillow.
What do you always seem to forget? Neck pillow.
What do you like least about travel? Waiting on lines.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? My book, “A Speck in the Sea.”
Favorite travel app(s): Google Maps.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting detained in Italy.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Washington, D.C.
Worst travel moment: Sitting next to a smelly old man on my way to Lake Tahoe.
What’s your dream destination? Great Barrier Reef, Australia.
Best travel tip: Always be aware of your surroundings.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.