Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: John Heminway
Occupation: Writer, filmmaker
Hometown: New York, NY
Residence: Bozeman, Montana
College: Princeton University
College major: Modern European History and English
Facebook: John Heminway
Short bio: In books and films, John Heminway has dedicated his life to capturing the last of the Earth’s frontiers and its protagonists. As a producer, director, writer, and presenter, he has contributed to works of science, travel, natural history, and anthropology. Along the way, after six books, dozens of magazine articles, hundreds of films as well as television’s most prestigious awards, he still strives to imbue serious topics with art, humor and an enduring story. His latest book, “In Full Flight: A Story of Africa and Atonement,” went on sale from Knopf on 2/13.
How often do you fly? On average about once every ten days.
How many countries have you been to? 20 in Africa, three in South America, six in Central America and the Caribbean, Canada, seven in Asia, and almost all of Europe, including Russia.
How many continents have you been to? All except Antarctica and Australia.
Earliest travel memory: On a train from New York to St. Louis with soldiers returning from World War II.
Favorite American city: Bozeman.
Favorite international city: London.
Least favorite country: Can’t think of one.
I have no desire to go to: Can’t think of where.
Friendliest people in the world: Sub-Saharan Africans.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Luang Prabang, Laos.
Favorite airline: Delta.
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 747 and 767.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: KLM Amsterdam.
Favorite U.S. airport: Bozeman.
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam.
Favorite hotel: Peponi, Lamu.
Favorite cruise line: Lindblad.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Reserve.
Favorite island: Tristan Da Cunha.
Favorite beach: Shella, Kenya.
Favorite National Park: Ruaha, Tanzania; Kidepo, Uganda.
Favorite fancy restaurant: 21.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Como Lario, London.
Favorite airport restaurant: Ike’s, Minneapolis.
Favorite bar: Café de Cerf, Rougemont, Switzerland.
Favorite fruit: Banana.
Favorite food: Emincé de veau.
Least favorite food: Eggs.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Laphroig.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Waters Are Wide.
Favorite travel show(s): PBS travel series.
Favorite travel book(s): Leonard Clark, “The Rivers Ran East”; Rebecca West, “Black lamb and Grey Falcon”; Alan Moorehead, “The White Nile.”
Right now I am reading: Andrew Lawler, “Why Did The Chicken Cross The World?”; Carl Safina, “Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Lisa Lindblad’s Meditations on Travel, East African Retreats, NY Times Travel Dispatch, Outside Go.
Favorite travel website(s): Besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Frugal Traveler.
5 things you bring on a plane: Books, laptop, earplugs, focus on work, upgrade-worthy clothes.
What do you always seem to forget? Raincoat, bathing suit.
What do you like least about travel? Over-zealous security check personnel, verbose life insurance salesmen seated beside me.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Single malt.
Favorite travel app(s): Fly Delta.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Trashing a high-profile politician who unexpectedly was seated in front of me. Still, I told him I meant every word I said.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: India.
Worst travel moment: Leaving for Africa with my daughter (her first visit) only to discover her suitcases were on a flight for Indianapolis.
What’s your dream destination? Africa.
Favorite travel charity: WildlifeDirect.
Best travel tip: Dress well if you want to be considered for an upgrade.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.