Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Judy Colbert
Occupation: Travel writer and photographer
Hometown: Washington, DC
Residence: Glen Burnie, MD
Facebook: /Judy Colbert
Short Bio: I’ve been writing about travel since the early 70s, primarily covering the mid-Atlantic area, but I also had the first guide to spas in North America and on cruise ships (1989). I like the off-beat and providing answers to questions travelers have (or didn’t know they had). My current goal is to spend a year or two sailing the Seven Seas on cruise ships, riverboats, and freighters, again writing about the unusual and human interest and not about the “10 reasons you’ll want to sail on this or that cruise ship.” I’d rather ask if the kitchen will puree food for your baby so you don’t have to schlep dozens of jars of baby food when you travel.
My current books are: Chesapeake Bay Crabs” cookbook, “Maryland and Delaware Off the Beaten Path”, “Insiders’ Guide to Baltimore”, “Virginia Off the Beaten Path”, “Peaceful Places Washington, DC”, “It Happened in Maryland”, “It Happened in Delaware”, and “Virginia Scenic Drives and Byways” (December 2013).
How often do you fly: As little as possible these days. I don’t mind flying; I dislike airports. I used to travel 110-115 days a year, so 20-25 flights a year.
How many countries have you been to: 35, at least.
How many continents have you been to: Four (North and South America, Europe, and Africa)
Favorite American city: Washington, DC (home town), followed by New York City.
Favorite international city: Barcelona, Spain, followed by Tel Aviv, Israel.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Iguacu National Park, Brazil.
Favorite airline: Southwest
Aisle or window: Aisle in coach; window in first class.
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Usually out of my suitcase.
Favorite cruise line: Working on that.
Favorite island: Bermuda
Favorite hole in the wall: G & M restaurant, Linthicum, Maryland
Favorite fruit: Clementines
Favorite food: Changes – fried chicken, hard-shell crabs, lobster
Least favorite food: Haven’t tried them – but worms
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) Water
Favorite travel movie(s): Eat, Pray, Love but I think it’s Javier Bardem rather than the scenery
Right now I am reading: Just read “The Heist” by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, the description of the Fassbender & Rausch chocolate shop and café makes me want to book a trip today.
What do you always seem to forget: I have a list, so I rarely forget anything.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Still have a dumb phone.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Tripping while walking the Stations of the Cross in Israel and having six guys rush to my aid.
Best travel tip: Prepare a list and take it with you, take a solar charger if you’re going to go away for more than a day or two.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.