Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Karen Bryan
Occupation: Online publisher & blog editor
Hometown: Dundee, Scotland
Residence: Berwick upon Tweed, England
Facebook: Europe a la Carte
Pinterest: Europe a la Carte
YouTube: Europe a la Carte
Short Bio: I’m the UK based editor of the Europe a la Carte travel site, which I founded in 2002. The site is full of tips on what to do in Europe plus “keep it real” reviews of hotels & restaurants.
How often do you fly: An average of 6 times a year. I like to explore the UK, usually by car or train. Many British people don’t appreciate their home country.
How many countries have you been to: 22
How many continents have you been to: 2
Favorite American city: San Francisco
Favorite international city: Rome, Italy
Favorite World Heritage Site: Krka National Park in Croatia
Favorite airline: Ryanair, as it’s enabled me to do so many trips in Europe with ticket prices as low as £1.
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite airport lounge: Copenhagen, Denmark
Favorite hotel: St Martin’s Therme & Resort in Burgenland, eastern Austria.
Favorite island: Shetland, Scotland
Favorite fancy restaurant: The Gradska Vijecnica Restaurant in Sibenik, Croatia
Favorite hole in the wall: Cafe/Restaurant 15 in Tomar, Portugal
Favorite fruit: Pineapple
Favorite food: French
Least favorite food: Offal; kidneys, liver etc.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) I’m a teetotaller Scot, a rare species; my favourite tipple is red grape juice.
Favorite travel movie(s): Easy Rider, Midnight Express
Favorite travel show(s): Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor, Around the World in 80 Days with Michael Palin.
Five things you bring on a plane: Water, fruit, netbook, Rufus Roo travel jacket (doubles my carry on capacity) and comfortable shoes.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Issey Miyake perfume
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: When my purse was stolen from my handbag in the Milan Metro & I didn’t have a cent to my name. I had to ask the hotel receptionist to lend me 10 Euro until my credit card company wired me some cash.
What’s your dream destination: New Zealand
Best travel tip: It’s by Jan Morris: “The best way to find out about a place is wander around. Wander around, alone, with all your antennae out thinking about what’s happening and what you see and what you feel.”
Photo provided by: Budget Travel Adventures
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.