Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without
Name: Keith Jenkins
Occupation: Travel blogger and travel blogging/social media consultant
Hometown: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Residence: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Short Bio: Keith Jenkins is the Founder and Publisher of the Velvet Escape luxury travel blog. Based in Amsterdam, Keith left his ten-year investment banking career to travel the world and carve out a new career as a travel blogger and social media advocate. He has visited more than 70 countries across six continents. In addition to being a travel blogger, Keith often speaks at travel and social media conferences, and offers social media consultancy and marketing services via iambassador.net. He is also the co-founder of the Global Bloggers Network, a community of more than 1,600 individual and corporate travel bloggers that helps its members grow and monetise their blogs. Keith’s highlight of 2012 was presenting his story on TEDxTalk.
How often do you fly: 40-50 flights a year.
How many countries have you been to: 74
How many continents have you been to: six (just Antarctica remaining. Top of my bucket list!)
Favorite American city: New Orleans
Favorite international city: Amsterdam – where I live!
Least favorite country: Any country where women’s and gay rights are laughed at.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Angkor Wat
Favorite airline: Singapore Airlines
Favorite aircraft type: A380
Aisle or window: Window! I have a whole photo series on my blog dedicated to photos taken from plane windows called ‘Plane Views’. (see: http://velvetescape.com/tag/plane-views/).
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam Schiphol and Singapore’s Changi
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Suitcase. Each time I decide to unpack into the closet, I leave things behind!
Favorite island: Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Favorite fancy restaurant: El Celler de Can Roca in Girona (recently voted as the world’s best)
Favorite fruit: Mango
Favorite food: Malaysian
Least favorite food: Fast food
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Wine
Right now I am reading: The latest edition of National Geographic Traveler
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: National Geographic Traveler, Wild Junket Magazine, Inside the Travel Lab blog
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Traveldudes.org, Lonely Planet.com, Google.com – I do all my travel research via Google.
Five things you bring on a plane:
- Moleskin notepad
- Noise-canceling earphones (when I get a new pair. My old pair broke L)
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Plane Finder (I’m an aviation geek!), Whatsapp, Line (for free calls), Uber, Camera+ and Snapseed.
Most embarrassing travel moment: When the lady at the gate asked me for my ID and I showed her my iPhone. I was VERY jetlagged! ;-)
Worst travel moment: When I nearly drowned while out snorkelling in the Red Sea.
What’s your dream destination: Madagascar
Favorite travel charity: Passports with Purpose
Best travel tip: Leave all judgements at home and travel with an open mind.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.