Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kelsey Knoedler
Hometown: Mosinee, WI
Residence: Boston, MA (Somerville to be exact)
College: Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, IN + Goddard College
College major: BA in Creative Writing + MFA in Creative Writing
Short bio: After studying abroad in Ireland as a sophomore in college, I was struck with a deep and fiery wanderlust. I have always had a passion for all things vintage: from poodle skirts and cat eye glasses to finger waves and VW Beetles. I studied creative writing at Saint Mary’s College and Goddard College, and as a child I used reading and writing as a way to escape my small-town Wisconsin life. What better way to combine these three passions than to seek out reimagined, reinvented, repurposed places around the world, explore them, and share them with the world through writing? Enter: Hipstorical.
I’m a writer, traveler and creative strategist based in Boston, MA with an MFA in Creative Writing from Goddard College. I was the Content Marketing Editor and primary blog writer for DuVine Cycling + Adventure Co. from November 2014 to May 2016 and am currently a marketing writer for Road Scholar in Boston.
How often do you fly? 5+ times per year.
How many countries have you been to? 14
How many continents have you been to? 3
Earliest travel memory: My earliest travel memory is driving down to Disney World from Wisconsin in first grade. Most of our family vacations growing up were to Florida. Disney will always hold a special place in my heart, but what inspired me the most was EPCOT’s World Showcase. I knew I wanted to experience the real thing someday. My immersive travel experience was in Ireland when I studied abroad in college. I have been hooked ever since.
Favorite American city: Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Portland (ME), Portsmouth…
Favorite international city: Dublin, Venice, Stockholm, Amsterdam.
Least favorite country: I’ve never been to a country I didn’t like!
I have no desire to go to: Antarctica.
Friendliest people in the world: Germans and Georgians (from Atlanta specifically).
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Ha, none of them seem to be very friendly!
Favorite World Heritage Site: That I’ve been to? Venice. I don’t care how “touristy” it is, it will always be one of the most magical places in the world to me. On my bucket list: Cinque Terre.
Favorite airline: Delta.
Favorite aircraft type: Hot air balloon? :-)
Aisle or window: Window all the way! I fall asleep before we leave the runway.
Favorite U.S. airport: ATL, MSP.
Favorite international airport: RKV (Reykjavik).
Favorite hotel: Borghetto sul Mincio, Valeggio sul Mincio—an old mill village converted into a hotel.
Favorite cruise line: Never been on a cruise!
Favorite travel credit card: Chase Sapphire.
Favorite island: Ireland or Maui.
Favorite beach: The black sand beach of Waianapanapa State Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Scampo at the Liberty Hotel in Boston.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: 21st Amendment in Boston.
Favorite bar: Saloon in Davis Square, Somerville.
Favorite fruit: Avocado.
Favorite food: Avocado.
Least favorite food: Oysters.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Gin gimlet.
Favorite travel movie(s): L’Auberge Espagnole.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown.
Favorite travel book(s): “Peter Pan.”
Right now I am reading: “Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Outside Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and AFAR Magazine.
5 things you bring on a plane: Neck pillow, blanket, book, ear buds, and Gardetto’s.
What do you always seem to forget? Phone charger!
What do you like least about travel? Coming home.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Wine.
Favorite travel app(s): TripIt, HeyLets.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Can’t think of one!
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Asia.
Worst travel moment: Getting stuck at O’Hare on New Year’s Eve and “sleeping” in the airport.
What’s your dream destination? Cinque Terre.
Favorite travel charity: Road Scholar.
Best travel tip: Plan ahead, but leave room for spontaneity and relaxation! And pack sunscreen.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.