Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kimberly Tate
Occupation: Founder of Stuffed Suitcase and Vacation Mavens
Hometown: Overland Park, Kansas
Residence: Seattle, Washington
College: University of Kansas
College major: Human Biology
Facebook: Stuffed Suitcase Travel
Pinterest: Stuffed Suitcase | Travel Tips & Family Fun
YouTube: Stuffed Suitcase
Short bio: Kimberly Tate is the founder of Stuffed Suitcase, a family travel blog. She’s based in Seattle, Washington and loves to explore the world with her husband and two daughters, as well as on her own. Through scenic photography and first-person storytelling, she inspires families on where to go next and gives them tips to make traveling easier. Kimberly also founded and co-hosts the family travel podcast, “Vacation Mavens.”
How often do you fly? 1-2 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 16
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: A trip to Disneyland and Southern California the summer before fifth grade.
Favorite American city: San Diego, CA.
Favorite international city: London, UK.
Least favorite country: I’m not sure how to answer this since I feel most countries have pros and cons.
I have no desire to go to: Iraq or Iran.
Friendliest people in the world: Barbadians (Bajans).
Country with the meanest immigration officers: I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a negative immigration officer. I did find my exit interview when leaving Israel to be quite stressful.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Quinta da Regaleira, Sintra, Portugal.
Favorite airline: Alaska Airlines and JetBlue.
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: I mostly like aisle but prefer the window if I want to sleep.
Favorite airport lounge: I haven’t been to many but I’d love to return to the DFW Centurion Lounge.
Favorite U.S. airport: My hometown SEA—all the terminals are connected airside so it’s easy to move around wherever you want to go.
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam Schiphol.
Favorite hotel: Fairmont Empress Victoria, BC.
Favorite cruise line: They all have pros and cons but I’d say Norwegian and Disney.
Favorite travel credit card: Amex Platinum.
Favorite island: I enjoy most Caribbean islands, but I’m going to give a shout out for my local San Juan Island on this one.
Favorite beach: Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman.
Favorite National Park: I have trouble picking a favorite. My top ones would be: Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone NP and Redwood NP.
Favorite fancy restaurant: I’m going to go with the C restaurant & bar in Monterey, CA.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: El Modelo Mexican Foods in Albuquerque, NM.
Favorite airport restaurant: Can’t say that I have one that has stood out to me.
Favorite bar: Park Bar in Lisbon (although it is a bit of a tourist trap).
Favorite fruit: Oranges and cherries.
Favorite food: Tex-Mex/Mexican.
Least favorite food: Indian.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Mimosas, coffee, ginger ale, red wine (depending on the time of day).
Favorite travel movie(s): Bride and Prejudice (I’m a rom-com girl).
Favorite travel show(s): Samantha Brown.
Favorite travel podcast(s): My own, Vacation Mavens! Also, Extra Pack of Peanuts.
Favorite travel book(s): I really enjoy the colorful photos in DK Eyewitness Travel Guides.
Right now I am reading: “The Productivity Project.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Sunset, AFAR, Travel + Leisure.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! The Points Guy, TripAdvisor.
5 things you bring on a plane: Headphones, lip balm, hand sanitizer, gum, iPad.
What do you always seem to forget? My glasses (I wear contacts during the day but glasses at night).
What do you like least about travel? The shrinking airplane seat room.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Kiehl’s body products.
Favorite travel app(s): Airline app (whichever line I’m flying on), Hopper, Mobile Passport.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Falling asleep on accident in a NYC hotel lobby after a red eye and being woken up by the manager and told I can’t sleep in the lobby.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Nine of the 15 east coast states.
Worst travel moment: Anytime I’ve been sick, like motion sickness on cruises and horrid headaches from malaria meds in Africa.
What’s your dream destination? Japan, New Zealand, Paris, Costa Rica, South Africa.
Favorite travel charity: Doctors Without Borders, Days for Girls.
Best travel tip: Teaching your kids to love to travel is the key to creating a world of global citizens!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.