Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kym Allison Backer
Occupation: Senior Editor, Upscale magazine
Hometown: Georgetown, Guyana
Residence: Atlanta, Georgia
Short Bio: Born in Guyana, bred in the US, citizen of the world. I’ve been traveling nonstop since I was a month old, and I just can’t seem to stop. Somehow, I’ve parlayed my love for travel into a significant part of my journo career—still not quite sure how I’ve pulled that off.
How often do you fly: Every few weeks, usually.
How many countries have you been to: 31 and counting…
How many continents have you been to: 6. Antartica has been a holdout.
Favorite American city: New Yawwwk City!
Favorite international city: Paris
Least favorite country: Any land where the citizens are oppressed.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Great Barrier Reef is breathtaking.
Favorite airline: Delta (hometown shoutout; they’re hubbed in Atl!)
Favorite aircraft type: A380
Aisle or window: Window. There will be slumping.
Favorite airport lounge: Any British Airways lounge: There are always massages and unlimited treats.
Favorite U.S. airport: ATL Hartsfield-Jackson. Know it like the back of my hand, and it has a few great restaurants, like One Flew South.
Favorite international airport: Changi Airport, Singapore. There’s a butterfly garden and a gigantic indoor slide.
Favorite hotel: Shangri-La Paris
Favorite island: Jamaica. I know it’s been sooo done, but Negril’s gorgeous beach, reggae, jerk chicken and escoveitch fish!
Favorite fancy restaurant: I’ll take an innovative taste from a food truck or unexpected flavor from street food over fancy-schmancy.
Favorite hole in the wall: Tassa Roti Shop, Atlanta. Best Indo/Afro-based Trinidadian food ever.
Favorite fruit: Guineps (fleshy fruit found in the Caribbean) or tangerines.
Favorite food: Anything curried.
Least favorite food: Anything gelatinous that isn’t jello.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Rum and Coke. Double, with slice of lime.
Favorite travel movie(s): Lost in Translation, Monsoon Wedding. Ok, MW isn’t really a travel movie, but it gives a glimpse into a rich, colorful culture that I want to visit. Immediately.
Favorite travel show(s): Anything hosted by Anthony Bourdain keeps me entertained.
Favorite travel book(s): Again, not traditional, but No. Ladies Detective Agency series. Author Alexander McCall Smith brings Botswana to life with vivid descriptions of the people, the culture and the land. Every time I read one, I want to book a flight and find the (fictional) characters.
Right now I am reading: Furious Love, the engrossing story of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton’s crazy relationship. Engrossing to me, obviously.
Five things you bring on a plane: Pashmina, Fanny Wang 3000 headphones, Kindle, iPod and thick socks.
What do you always seem to forget: Thick socks. Dammit!
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Local liquor…rum would be nice.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Gate Guru lets me find whatever I need—stat. Tripit maps my entire trip for me and helps me keep track of all the steps.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: That one time that I settled down for a 5-hr flight, took cold meds w/ a rum and coke to get rid of a lingering sore throat, went into comatose mode and then it was announced that due to mechanical difficulties, flight was canceled. Slight coordination issues during disembarkation resulted.
What’s your dream destination: Bora Bora or Kenya’s Maasai Mara
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Afar.com is always fun!
Best travel tip: Be open! Don’t let uncontrollable glitches throw you. Savor every moment—you’ll never have this precise experience again.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.