Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Laird Hamilton
Occupation: Waterman and Innovator
Residence: Hanalei and Malibu
College: The College of Life
College major: The College of Life
YouTube: Laird Life
Short bio: World renowned “waterman” Laird Hamilton is known as the guiding genius of crossover board sports, and is largely considered the primary influence behind many surfing innovations, including tow-in surfing, stand-up paddle boarding and hydrofoil boarding.
Laird is not just a surfer; he has transcended the sport of Surfing and has become an international fitness icon and nutrition expert. His first book, “FORCE OF NATURE: Mind, Body, Soul, and, Of Course, Surfing” (published by Rodale Books in 2008) has become the go-to manual for individuals seeking inspiration for a healthy lifestyle.
Laird’s passion for helping others live happy, healthy lives is also exhibited through his work with various charities. In 2009, he participated in the Race Across America, a 3,000 mile cross-country bike race that benefited such charities as Beautiful Son Foundation for Autism, Pipeline for a Cure for Cystic Fibrosis, and Muscular Dystrophy. In addition, Laird has also pledged his support to the Surfrider Foundation and joined other celebrities for City Of Hope’s Citizen of Hope campaign.
After the launch of Laird Apparel, a collection of performance-based apparel, Laird Hamilton has partnered with the iconic Los Cabos resort, One&Only Palmilla, to offer a one-of-a-kind weekend of activities hosted together with fitness expert and Olympic beach volleyball champion Gabrielle Reece from June 10-13. From stand-up paddle board training by Laird Hamilton and Team USA SUP Racer and Surfer Chuck Glynn, to HIGH-X explosive circuit training and conditioning with Gabrielle Reece and Team USA Olympian Erin MacKenzie, the four-day “Life Life Alive” weekend is designed to challenge guest’s mind, body, and spirit.
The “Live Life Alive” experience starts at $2,747 for one person or $3,900 for two people. For more information visit this page or book by contacting resort reservations at 888-691-8081 or via email at [email protected]
How often do you fly? Twice a month average.
How many countries have you been to? 45
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: Camping in California with my mother.
Favorite American city: Los Angeles.
Favorite international city: Paris.
Least favorite country: I always try find the best in wherever I visit. They all have flaws though…
I have no desire to go to: For a good reason I welcome the chance to go anywhere…
Friendliest people in the world: The Hawaiians.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu.
Favorite airline: Virgin.
Favorite aircraft type: 787 Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: The New LA International First Class.
Favorite U.S. airport: JFK.
Favorite international airport: London Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: One&Only Palmilla.
Favorite cruise line: Not a cruiser!
Favorite travel credit card: American Express.
Favorite island: Kauai.
Favorite beach: Lumahai.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Belcampo—Santa Monica.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Malibu Farm at the Pier.
Favorite bar: I don’t drink so, Sun Life Smoothie Bar.
Favorite fruit: Papaya.
Favorite food: BBQ steak.
Least favorite food: Animals that can hurt you. It’s a karma thing.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Turmeric Wellness Shot.
Favorite travel movie(s): Riding Giants!
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): Time Out Guides.
Right now I am reading: “Natural Born Heroes.”
Top favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Surfline, CNN Travel.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Orbitz!
5 things you bring on a plane: Good healthy food, good beverage, phone + audio book, carry-on pack only!
What do you always seem to forget? I’m a pro I have it down by now.
What do you like least about travel? Time change.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Macadamia nuts.
Favorite travel app(s): Flight Stats.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Not recognizing celebrities that come and say hello!
Worst travel moment: Unrepairable surfboard damage and loss.
What’s your dream destination? Indian Ocean.
Favorite travel charity: Surfaid.org.
Best travel tip: Keep exploring.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.