Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Laura Bly
Occupation: Travel reporter/blogger/photographer
Hometown: Madison, Wis.
Residence: Washington, DC
Pinterest: Laura Bly (Still figuring it out, though I have repinned several of Johnny Jet’s picks :)
Bio: I started my travel journalism career in the prehistoric Ink Era and was an early digital adapter, launching a syndicated online travel column in 1995. I was a fellow in the Knight Digital Media Center’s Multimedia Reporting and Convergence Workshop at UC-Berkeley, and am a previous winner of SATW’s Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year award.
How often do you fly: Not often enough!
How many countries have you visited? About 80
How many continents have you been to: All seven
Favorite American city: San Francisco
Favorite international city: Cape Town
Least favorite country: None
Favorite World Heritage Site: Main square in Esfahan, Iran
Favorite airline: The old Midwest Express.
Favorite aircraft type: The ultralight I took over Victoria Falls
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: I should be so lucky…
Favorite U.S. airport: Washington Reagan National
Favorite international airport: Paro, Bhutan
Favorite hotel: Khem Villas, Ranthambhore National Park, India
Favorite cruise line: Windstar
Favorite island: Iceland
Favorite fancy restaurant: For the ambiance and knock-your-socks off view, Sierra Mar at Big Sur’s Post Ranch Inn
Favorite hole in the wall: Hole in the Wall, a barbecue/fish shack reachable only by boat on Roatan, Honduras.
Favorite food: Lobster rolls, preferably on the water in Maine
Favorite travel movie(s): Out of Africa, The Sheltering Sky, Lost in America
Favorite travel show(s): The Amazing Race
Favorite travel book(s): The God of Small Things, The Royal Road to Romance
Five things you bring on a plane: Black pashmina, noise-cancelling headphones, inflatable pillow, iPhone and charger
What do you always seem to forget: Enough pens
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): As an avid iPhoneagrapher and Instagramer, I’m addicted to photo apps that let me transform pedestrian travel snaps into (I like to think so, anyway) art. Current faves: Snapseed, Dynamic Light, Big Lens
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Stepping on an algae-covered rock to get a better shot of a kayaker in Ilulissat, Greenland – and promptly falling on my elbow, shattering it like a teacup. The good news: The local hospital was only a few yards away, where I spent a narcotics-laced night watching icebergs march past my window.
What’s your dream destination: The next place I haven’t been.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Priceline, for the unbeatable deals on name-your-own-price hotels.
Best travel tip: Be curious – and humble.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.