Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Lauren DeSantis
Occupation: Attorney-by-day, Host, Producer, Editor of Capital Cooking with Lauren DeSantis on nights and weekends
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Residence: Washington, DC
Short Bio: Lauren DeSantis combines her passions for food and television in Capital Cooking with Lauren DeSantis, a television travel and food series highlighting the culinary and cultural riches of cities around the globe. She is a lawyer by day and host/producer of her television show on the weekends. Lauren grew up in an Italian family in St. Louis, Missouri, where eating well was the key to every family gathering. She studied political science at Truman State University and later received a J.D. from Duke University School of Law. She expanded her culinary knowledge by attending L’Academie de Cuisine. In addition to filming her show, she teaches cooking classes. She is also the author of Capital Cooking Cookbook. Not only is Lauren the editor of the Capital Cooking Show blog, but she also writes for DC Culinary Travel Examiner, WashingtonEats.com and W-USA 9.
How often do you fly: At least 4 times/month
How many countries have you been to: 31
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: San Francisco, CA
Favorite international city: Cape Town, SA
Least favorite country: Cambodia
Favorite World Heritage Site: Mosi-oa-Tunya / Victoria Falls
Favorite airline: Was TWA. (For US flights, US Airways. For International: Air France.)
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 747
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: Don’t usually go to the lounges
Favorite U.S. airport: Charlotte, NC
Favorite international airport: Copenhagen
Favorite hotel: The Steenberg in Cape Town
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Live out of a suitcase
Favorite cruise line: Only been on one cruise, Carnival
Favorite island: Santorini
Favorite fancy restaurant: CityZen, Washington, DC
Favorite hole in the wall: Fast Eddie’s Bon Air
Favorite fruit: Blueberries
Favorite food: Bacon
Least favorite food: Sardines
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Blue Moon
Favorite travel movie(s): Lost in Translation
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations
Favorite travel book(s): Any book is a good travel book. Fun to read on the road.
Right now I am reading: To Have and Have Not, Ernest Hemingway
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel Bite, Honey Trek Legal Nomads
Five things you bring on a plane: Neck pillow
What do you always seem to forget: Head phones
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Daisy by Marc Jacobs
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Instagram
Most embarrassing travel moment: When the security in Bermuda decided to do a full search of my luggage, pulling out intimate apparel, on my anniversary trip. He wasn’t discrete.
Worst travel moment: Getting thrown off of a boat in the middle of the ocean at night by a guy pointing a spear gun at you
What’s your dream destination: Sicily (where my family is originally from)
Favorite travel charity: Tongabezi Trust School
Best travel tip: Be flexible. If things don’t go as planned, embrace it and enjoy the roller coaster ride of life!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.