Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Lee Anne Wong
Occupation: Chef/Owner, Koko Head Cafe
Hometown: Troy, NY
Residence: Honolulu, HI
College: Fashion Institute of Technology, The French Culinary Institute
College major: Fashion Design, Culinary
Facebook: Lee Anne Wong
How often do you fly? My boyfriend lives on Kauai, so pretty much every other week. Japan and NYC mostly a couple of times a year.
How many countries have you been to? Twelve…Spain, France, Denmark, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, Belize, Japan, China, Philippines, Korea, Malaysia.
How many continents have you been to? Three.
Earliest travel memory: I used to play organized youth ice hockey, so that involved driving all over the Northeast and Canada in the car with my dad and brother. Long long car rides. Before Google Maps and GPS.
Favorite American city: NEW YORK FOR LIFE.
Favorite international city: KYOTO.
Least favorite country: That I’ve been to? Korea was a strange place, wonderful, but definitely different feel.
I have no desire to go to: While I would hope to someday see some of the beautiful and ancient cities around Europe and the Middle East, unfortunately political and civil unrest make some of these destinations unsafe in the current climate.
Friendliest people in the world: I have met some of the most incredible people with the true spirit of aloha here in Hawaii.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Historic Oaxaca Centro.
Favorite airline: Hawaiian Airlines!
Favorite aircraft type: Right now the A330.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Hong Kong.
Favorite U.S. airport: SFO is pretty dope for foodies.
Favorite international airport: HND Haneda and KIX Osaka.
Favorite hotel: Casa Oaxaca.
Favorite cruise line: I don’t cruise myself, but have cooked on Celebrity Cruises.
Favorite travel credit card: My Amex.
Favorite island: Big Island is pretty amazing. Maui a close second.
Favorite beach: Polihale Coast on Kauai. The edge of the world where the earth and sea meet the stars. Imagine having an entire stretch of beach to yourself.
Favorite National Park: Volcano Park, Big Island.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Kikunoi.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Izakaya Naru.
Favorite airport restaurant: Tortas Frontera, Gate K, O’Hare.
Favorite bar: Bar Caam Kyoto.
Favorite fruit: Lilikoi.
Favorite food: Really exquisite sushi.
Least favorite food: Canned tuna.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Whiskey.
Favorite travel movie(s): Inception, Fantastic Mr Fox, Amelie, any Jason Bourne movie where Matt Damon is beating the crap out of the bad guys.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.
Favorite travel book(s): Lonely Planet, “Schott’s Book of Miscellany,” “Schott’s Book of Food and Drink.”
Right now I am reading: The news. Obsessively. Like watching a slow trainwreck.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel + Leisure, National Geographic Traveler.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Booking.com, Travel + Leisure.
5 things you bring on a plane: Headphones, blanket, hydroflask, sleeping mask, chargers.
What do you always seem to forget? The neck pillow! I have like three or four of them.
What do you like least about travel? The thought of being in a flying petri dish with the guy next to me coughing and not covering his mouth.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Whiskey…preferably Japanese.
Favorite travel app(s): Google Maps, Tokyo and NYC subway maps, Convert Me, Booking.com.
Most embarrassing travel moment: “If a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it?” Sort of like the time I drove my moped into a four-foot deep ditch in Cozumel. Only my boyfriend at the time saw, and he thankfully dragged both me and the moped out.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Italy.
Worst travel moment: Getting influenza B in Malaysia while cooking a four-night event for Hennessey XO…having a fever of 102ºF when it’s 100ºF out and 100% humidity. Worst week of my life.
What’s your dream destination? Galapagos or Indonesia.
Favorite travel charity: I was unaware such a thing exists.
Best travel tip: Go with a fairly empty suitcase. And don’t be afraid to engage the locals.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.