Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Mark DeCarlo
Occupation: Comedian/Host A Fork on the Road travel show
Hometown: Chicago, IL
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
College major: Communications
Facebook: Mark DeCarlo TV
Short bio: Emmy Award-winning TV host and comedian, author bestselling travel/foodie comedic book “A Fork on the Road: 400 Cities, 1 Stomach.” Currently stars in the indie action-adventure film The Babymoon available on iTunes and DVD.
How often do you fly? Twice a month.
How many countries have you been to? Eight.
How many continents have you been to? Two.
Earliest travel memory: Flying from Chicago to LA to go to Disneyland.
Favorite American city: Toss-up Chicago or NOLA.
Favorite international city: Rome.
Least favorite country: Haven’t been there yet.
I have no desire to go to: India—too crowded.
Friendliest people in the world: Italians.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Germany.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Roman Colosseum.
Favorite airline: Virgin America.
Favorite aircraft type: 777.
Aisle or window: Duh, Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Amex DFW.
Favorite U.S. airport: Maui.
Favorite international airport: FCO.
Favorite hotel: Four Seasons Costa Rica.
Favorite cruise line: I don’t cruise. Boats sink.
Favorite travel credit card: Amex Platinum.
Favorite island: Gilligan’s.
Favorite beach: Sicily.
Favorite National Park: Yellowstone.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Commander’s Palace, NOLA.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Pizano’s State Street, Chicago, IL.
Favorite airport restaurant: Ewww. Never.
Favorite bar: Buddy Guy’s Legends, Chicago, IL.
Favorite fruit: Pomegranate.
Favorite food: Coop’s Fried Chicken, NOLA.
Least favorite food: Brussels sprouts.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Bourbon and ginger ale w/ lime and bitters.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Babymoon, Midnight Run, The IN-Laws (1979),
Favorite travel show(s): Taste of America with Mark DeCarlo, A Fork on the Road, Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): “Travels with Charley,” John Steinbeck.
Right now I am reading: This questionnaire.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: My HuffingtonPost travel blog.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Travana.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: Beats noise-cancelling headphones, almonds, The Week magazine.
What do you always seem to forget? Um…. Gimme a minute… sh—t.
What do you like least about travel? People who have no idea how to board a plane or have any awareness of the people around them. SHOWER PEOPLE! We can smell you!
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Something we can’t find back home.
Favorite travel app(s): HotelTonight, Yelp, JamBase.
Most embarrassing travel moment: I don’t embarrass easily.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Egypt.
Worst travel moment: Sitting on the tarmac at O’Hare for three hours because some idiot refused to get off the plane.
What’s your dream destination? Hot, humid, beach with great seafood and live music.
Favorite travel charity: Doctors without Borders.
Best travel tip: Plan ahead.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.