Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Markos Aristides Kern
Occupation: Innovator and entrepreneur
Hometown: Munich, GER
Residence: Munich, Shanghai & NYC
Short bio: I started my first company when I was 20 and have been travelling around the globe for all sorts of exotic projects in the area of design, art and innovations (I also started the first surf school in North Korea!). My latest creation is the startup ULYSS. ULYSS takes your personal references, big data analysis and AI to find the perfect destination for your next trip. You should definitely check it out!
How often do you fly? About once a week. I’m definitely what you call a frequent flyer.
How many countries have you been to? Actually I’ve never counted. But I already had to renew my passport five times since it was full ;)
How many continents have you been to? All except Australia, no clue why though.
Earliest travel memory: Being on a ferry in the mediterranean during a heavy storm. I must have been 4 years old and we were heading to a Greek island.
Favorite American city: NYC, what else?
Favorite international city: Shanghai.
Least favorite country: None.
I have no desire to go to: Mongolia.
Friendliest people in the world: You find them anywhere on this planet, all depends on your own attitude. You get what you give.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: US (sorry).
Favorite World Heritage Site: No clue, but definitely a nature one.
Favorite airline: Emirates.
Favorite aircraft type: A380—upper deck.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Emirates First class lounge Dubai.
Favorite U.S. airport: I’m usually pretty jet lagged by the time I get to the US, so it’s hard to pick one.
Favorite international airport: Dubai International.
Favorite hotel: Puli Shanghai.
Favorite cruise line: Not for me, can’t be stuck on a ship for days.
Favorite travel credit card: No preference.
Favorite island: Santorini.
Favorite beach: Ubud, Bali.
Favorite National Park: Banff, Alberta, Canada.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Oh, so many…
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Something, somewhere in Asia.
Favorite bar: Le Baron, Shanghai.
Favorite fruit: Mango.
Favorite food: All.
Least favorite food: Food prepared with no love.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Water, still, not chilled.
Right now I am reading: This Q&A.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Nowhere Mag, Nomad Revelations & Local Adventurer.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Besides JohnnyJet.com, of course, I live in a bubble when it comes to that.
5 things you bring on a plane: Huge scarf, noise cancelling earphones, earplugs, breathing mask and a pair of fresh socks.
What do you always seem to forget? Informing all the people I know all over the world before actually arriving at their city. Guess I’m a short-notice person.
What do you like least about travel? Bad service, waiting without a proper reason and smelly people.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? I think I never ever bought anything there.
Favorite travel app(s): ULYSS (of course) and TripAdvisor, it’s great to find good restaurants nearby.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Waking up in flight and having to ask the flight attendant where we are actually heading—it’s been a few crazy weeks of travelling and party.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: So many nice places just around the corner form where I live.
Worst travel moment: Being arrested in China (by accident) and 9 meter high waves with icebergs in the Antarctic Ocean.
What’s your dream destination? Driving all of the silk road with my 6×6 truck.
Favorite travel charity: Emirates Foundation.
Best travel tip: Don’t make any plans and be nice to people you meet along the way.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.