Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Michael Martin
Hometown: Sacramento, CA
Residence: Hollywood Hills, CA
Short bio: Editor of online travel magazine, JetSetReport, and author of Lost in Hotels book series. I oversee the daily operations of the website from editorial and management to oversight of our premium VIP Liste concierge service that assists high-end travelers with on the ground planning of restaurants, nightlife and entertainment in 120+ travel markets. Previously, I was a US Editor for Hachette Filipacchi UK and columnist for AOL in Los Angeles where I began my writing career.
How often do you fly? About twice a month.
How many countries have you been to? 35+
How many continents have you been to? 6
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: Tokyo.
Least favorite country: Bahamas.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Historic Centre of Mexico City and Xochimilco.
Favorite airline: Air France, front of the place; Lufthansa, back/bottom of the plane.
Aisle or window: Window, I hate being knocked.
Favorite U.S. airport: San Francisco, reminds me of my father picking me up at 1 am in a rainstorm after I snuck off to Europe at 17 and ran out of money. Today, it has the best and most convenient in-terminal dining options of any US airport.
Favorite international airport: London, simply for Fast-Trak.
Favorite airport lounge: Air France’s La Première Lounge at CDG.
Favorite hotel: Il Pelicano.
Favorite cruise line: Doesn’t exist.
Favorite island: Fernando de Noronha.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Atelier Crenn—SF.
Favorite hole in the wall: 242 Sushi—Laguna Beach.
Favorite fruit: Passionfruit that’s not overly ripe.
Favorite food: Cold terrine of foie gras with warm toast points.
Least favorite food: Lobster.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): White wine or a local sparkling water. Coca-Cola Light when in Europe.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain, if only because he tries things that I would normally avoid. I don’t mind reruns of Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous either.
Favorite travel book(s): “Lost in Hotels” – M. Martin for obvious reasons.
Right now I am reading: “Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy.”
5 things you bring on a plane: A pen, vintage carry-on, my own headphones, Kindle, British monthlies.
What do you always seem to forget? My passport number.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Newest Hermes cologne, local olive oil if pertinent.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Google—it’s the first step in finding everything I ever want without going between other apps.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Forgetting my Yellow Fever certificate, boarding a SA flight from GRU to JNB on Christmas Day.
What’s your dream destination? The Hajj in Mecca.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Note Bene, Hotelchatter, Wallpaper.
Best travel tip: Never visit a place for the first time with a group of friends. Friends at home don’t always translate to friends while traveling. Some of my worst travel experiences have been with my closest friends. Luckily the friendships always survive but only once we get back home.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.