Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Mike Schibel
Occupation: Founder, Travel With Meaning
Hometown: Pacific Palisades
Residence: Venice Beach
College: Emerson College
College major: Broadcast Journalism
Facebook: Travel with Meaning
YouTube: Travel with Meaning
Short bio: I’m a former talent agent turned brand strategist who grew up in the Pacific Palisades with a strong wanderlust to see the world, experience different cultures and meet new people. After a career exit in 2010, I sold my belongings, bought a one-way ticket to Australia and never looked back. My passion and desire to find ways to inspire others led to the launch of Travel With Meaning, a travel storytelling community. Encouraging, inspiring and supporting travel through sharing authentic stories from my Travel Talk guests.
What started out as an idea to bring people together to talk about travel has transformed into a thriving community of like-minded travelers catching up on recent adventures, sharing about future travels, and getting inspired from our Travel Talk guests sharing real meaningful stories that have left a lasting imprint on their lives today.
How often do you fly? Once a month.
How many countries have you been to? 34
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: Family road trip from Los Angeles to our cabin in northern Minnesota. Stopping at every scenic spot and interesting site along the way and back.
Favorite American city: Los Angeles (hometown bias…close seconds are Minneapolis, Boston, Austin, and New York).
Favorite international city: Queenstown, NZ.
Least favorite country: Have not been there yet.
Friendliest people in the world: Kiwis.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Great Barrier Reef.
Favorite airline: Air New Zealand.
Favorite aircraft type: 747.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite international airport: Schiphol.
Favorite hotel: Alila Uluwatu/Timber Cove Resort.
Favorite cruise line: Celebrity Solstice.
Favorite travel credit card: Sapphire.
Favorite island: Bali.
Favorite National Park: Sequoia National Park.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Scotch on the ground. Ginger ale in the air (just something I always have).
Favorite travel movie(s): The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations.
Favorite travel podcast(s): Travel With Meaning.
Right now I am reading: “Life Rider” by Laird Hamilton.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Skift, Afar, Travel + Leisure.
5 things you bring on a plane: Headphones, sleep mask, pillow, book, PATIENCE.
What do you like least about travel? Plane boarding and disembarking process.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Chocolate and liquor.
What’s your dream destination? Greece.
Favorite travel charity: Hostel International Travel Scholarship Fund.
Best travel tip: Be present to the magic of travel.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.