Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Nancy Besharah
Occupation: Freelance writer & luxury travel blogger
Hometown: A small prairie town in Saskatchewan, Canada
Residence: Victoria, British Columbia
College: University of British Columbia
College major: Economics
Facebook: Luxe Travel Family
Pinterest: Luxe Travel Family
Google+: Luxe Travel Family
YouTube: Luxe Travel Family
Short bio: Nancy is a long-time luxury traveler, freelance writer and blogger at Luxe Travel Family, where she specializes in luxury family travel. Nancy defines luxury as something beyond the everyday—it could be llama trekking in Austria, exploring a local market in Hue, Vietnam, or flying SWISS First.
When Nancy isn’t at home in Canada, she is traveling the world, often with her husband and two children. Hiking and biking in the Alps, exploring secluded beaches in Hawaii, floating down the Mekong River at sunset, and private yacht expeditions in Galapagos are examples of the activities Nancy and her family seek out when they travel.
Nancy is a media member of the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC), North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA), Family Travel Association (FTA), and Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA).
How often do you fly? At least once/month.
How many countries have you been to? 20+
How many continents have you been to? Five.
Earliest travel memory: Flying from Saskatoon to Vancouver to visit my grandparents.
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: Hong Kong and Rome.
Least favorite country: I haven’t been there yet.
I have no desire to go to: The Democratic Republic of Congo.
Friendliest people in the world: Thai.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: China—they weren’t mean, just not friendly.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Historic centre of Rome.
Favorite airline: SWISS.
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 747-800.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: SWISS First Lounge in Zurich & Lufthansa First Lounge in Frankfurt.
Favorite U.S. airport: John Wayne Airport Orange County (SNA), Palm Springs Airport (PSP).
Favorite international airport: Munich (MUC).
Favorite hotel: Four Seasons Hong Kong, Hotel George V Paris.
Favorite cruise line: I haven’t cruised.
Favorite travel credit card: Visa Infinite Privilege.
Favorite island: Hawaii.
Favorite beach: Hot Water Beach, New Zealand.
Favorite National Park: Banff, Alberta.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Flocons de Sel in Megève, Le Cinq in Paris.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Lele in Florence, Italy.
Favorite airport restaurant: Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, Germany.
Favorite bar: Adler Dolomiti, Italy.
Favorite fruit: Apple.
Favorite food: Cheese (when I’m not eating apples).
Least favorite food: Organ meat.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Champagne.
Favorite travel movie(s): Ocean’s Twelve and most Bond films.
Favorite travel show(s): Blue Planet.
Favorite travel book(s): I have a lot of books! Lonely Planet are a long-time favourite.
Right now I am reading: “Standard Deviation” (Katherine Heiny), “The Sympathizer” (Viet Thanh Nguyen), “The Gift of an Ordinary Day” (Katrina Kenison).
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Lonely Planet, Nat Geo Traveller, Monocle.
Favorite travel website(s)— Besides JohnnyJet.com, I visit lonelyplanet.com, tripadvisor.com, townandcountrymag.com and many others.
5 things you bring on a plane: Travel-size Evian or Avene facial spray (spring water), hand sanitizer, earbuds, iPhone, and a journal. I love to write when I’m flying.
What do you always seem to forget? I can’t remember ;)
What do you like least about travel? Waiting around.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Dom Pérignon rosé champagne.
Favorite travel app(s): Flight Tracker, Four Seasons, Google Maps, Waze (for driving in the USA & CDN), OpenTable, Gogo Entertainment & airline apps.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Misplacing my passport between boarding a Lufthansa flight in YVR and deplaning in FRA. I found it—phew!
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Mexico.
Worst travel moment: Fortunately there haven’t been too many—a mishandled suitcase from NYC to FCO was stressful. It took days to locate the bag and we weren’t reunited with it until we returned to Canada three-weeks later.
What’s your dream destination? Maldives.
Favorite travel charity: Charles Darwin Foundation.
Best travel tip: Expect the unexpected & pack essentials in your carry-on bag.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.