Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Nomadic Matt
Hometown: Boston, MA
College: Umass – Amherst
College major: History Education
Facebook: Nomadic Matt’s Travel Site
Pinterest: Nomadic Matt
Google+: Matthew Kepnes
YouTube: Matthew Kepnes
Short bio: Matthew Kepnes runs the award-winning budget travel site Nomadic Matt and is the author of the new book How to Travel the World on $50 a Day, available January 6th in bookstores and online. His tips and expertise has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, CNN, National Geographic, BBC, Time, The Guardian, and The New York Times. After a trip to Thailand in 2005, Matt decided to quit his job, finish his MBA and head off into the world. His original trip was supposed to last a year. Over eight years later, he is still out exploring and roaming the world. He’s scuba dived in Fiji, was a poker player in Amsterdam, taught English in Thailand, got lost in a jungle in Central America, and broke down in the middle of Australia’s outback. His mission is to prove that any place in the world can be a budget destination. When not traveling the world, he lives in New York City.
How often do you fly? A little over 100,000 miles per year.
How many countries have you been to? 75
How many continents have you been to? 6
Earliest travel memory: When I was 11 or 12, my dad flew my sister and I to Bermuda to surprise my mom and grandmother who were stopping there on a cruise.
Favorite American city: NYC.
Favorite international city: Bangkok.
Least favorite country: Vietnam.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: US.
Favorite airline: Cathay.
Favorite aircraft type: A380.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse.
Favorite U.S. airport: PDX.
Favorite international airport: Hong Kong.
Favorite hotel: W Hotels.
Favorite travel credit card: Starwood American Express.
Favorite bar: Cheap Charlie’s, Bangkok.
Favorite travel movie(s): A Map for Saturday.
Favorite travel book(s): The Alchemist.
Right now I am reading: The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! The Flight Deal, The Points Guy, Roads and Kingdoms, Legal Nomads, Wandering Earl, and Nomadic Matt! :)
What do you always seem to forget? Power adaptors.
Favorite travel app(s): Google Maps.
Most embarrassing travel moment: I once got stuck on a zip line above the canopy in Costa Rica. Someone had to come and pull me back in.
Worst travel moment: When I almost drowned learning to scuba dive in Fiji. My dive partner kick the regulator out of my mouth. It was incredibly scary.
What’s your dream destination? Bhutan.
Best travel tip: The more flexible you are with your travel plans the better and easier it will be for you to catch deals and save money on your travels!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.