Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Norman Ratcliffe
Occupation: Scientist and Author
Hometown: Swansea, Wales and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
College: Swansea University
College major: Zoology
Facebook: Norman Ratcliffe
Short bio: Research scientist and author of health and fitness books and travel guide to Rio.
How often do you fly? 4-6 times per year.
How many countries have you been to? About 30.
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: Staying in a gypsy caravan.
Favorite American city: Las Vegas.
Favorite international city: London.
Least favorite country: Afghanistan.
Friendliest people in the world: Americans.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Brazil.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Jesus Christ statue Rio de Janeiro.
Favorite airline: Qatar.
Favorite aircraft type: Jumbo.
Favorite airport lounge: Amsterdam.
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam.
Favorite hotel: Copacabana Palace, Rio.
Favorite travel credit card: VISA.
Favorite island: Aruba.
Favorite beach: Leme, Rio.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Marios, Rio.
Favorite fruit: Mango.
Favorite food: Fish.
Least favorite food: Arab.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Champagne.
Right now I am reading: Travel guide to Rio for Olympics.
5 things you bring on a plane: Food, water, magazine, newspaper, glasses.
What do you always seem to forget? Sleep mask.
What do you like least about travel? Horrible people who put their seats back with no consideration.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Chocolate.
Worst travel moment: Loss of boarding card.
What’s your dream destination? London.
Best travel tip: Try and avoid economy class.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.